Granulated/drusy/rosebud

pearlescence

purveyor of pearls UK/EU
These pearls seem to have no settled name but I love them,. every one is different and some have the most stunning lustre. I have made a couple of things already - here are the photos
The first one also has a strand of the most fabulous violet coloured tail pearls. I wish I could get some round pearls in that colour, it is totally yum. The second photo is a single strand, about 50cm long

Last edited:
Those pictures are looking good Wendy! Way to go. You'll still want to work on softening the shadows, but they're getting better.

wooooooooo, two praises in one day. I used natural light and a mirror to throw light back into the field - maybe I need to carry the whole set up outside! But it is a holiday weekend here so it is bound to rain and storm

They're both great, but I especially like the second one. Is that a silver and garnet clasp? ;)

Your photos are looking really fine. And the pearls! I love both, but the idea of using drusy pearls in a torsade is particularly great. Of course it is dreary for the weekend here, too. Alas.

Here is another three strand necklace, two strands of the silvery with a touch of pink and one strand of heather. Some of the pearls have the most astonishing lustre - metallic gold, silver, purple, green, while others are a striking brushed satin finish. Every pearl is different. The clasp here is silver set with an amethyst.

Last edited:
Hi Wendy,

Another lovely necklace! Are those treated to get the deep color? I think in your previous torsade photo, the pearls with the little tail are similar to some I have purchased as blister mabes, or shell mabe. If you look closely at the flat side, you can see the insert. I have some dyed really fun colors too.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Hi Pattye
They may be. here is a strand of HUGGGGGGGGGGGGGE violet coloured pearls - I call them comet pearls, and have seen them called tail pearl.
Some of these are over 30mm long (Yes that is 3cm) Some of the shapes are totally amazing and the lustre can be intermittently wow too. I made a twisted up necklace of two strands of these pearls and it is pretty dramatic (and heavy!) There seem to be lots of colours of these available. I thought they may be bad bead nucleated second grafts. But they are great fun

Last edited:
Does someone know what kind of shell these are coming from? Seems like quite a few mabes must be produced from 1 shell, because the costs are relatively low for the finished product (full strand), seeing how one gets a big, artistic look and lovely colors. Thanks in advance!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

I don't think they are mabes Pattye - the tail shows no sign of attachment. I suspect a bead as a second graft into a pearl sac- is that possible? there certainly seem to be several beads all grown together and if you look closely at the pic I posted you can see where one bead and its pearl have split off from the rest of the whole pearl (at about 5 o'clock in the pic above)
But that is a supposition
Does anyone know?

Back