Giant South Sea Baroques

dkan 168

Recent PP Monthly Special and pics of Daniel's jewellery, have inspired me to dream up a pendant design of my own: a diamond bale with inter-changeable drops of pearls and precious stones.

Just wondering if anyone could give me an indication how much I should expect to pay for a giant silver SSP baroque pearl for a pendant, 20mm+ in length please, so that I can start a piggy bank for it?

I have seen some excellent big pearls for sale from the likes of Augustus-Collection, and am hoping one day, they will have some big monsters.

Got a diamond in mind already, just need to persuade my mum to let me have it, rather than to keep it in a safe at a bank. Perhaps she would as I have my big 50 coming up soon! :D

Rather than to repeat this post in the Tahitians section, I would be grateful if peeps could give me a similar indication on how much I should expect to pay for a giant Tahitian pearl drop please, probably 18mm+.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

DK :)

You mentioned about Agustus, and this baroque is 20mm+ in length http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIANT-Bi-color-SOUTH-SEA-BAROQUE-PEARL-Aru-Island-20-mm-/170859597314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c8068e02 and reasonably priced.

I haven't done/sourced giant baroques before, but from my experience checking around here, I think it would be in the range $200-$400 (or more depends on the weight and quality).

And now I'm reminded of my auntie's giant silver baroque pendant. I don't remember the exact size but it's probably 25mm+ in length. It's gassy pearl though, so it's lightweight..

IMG01807-20120311-1713.jpg

(sorry for the pic, it was taken with crappy handphone)

Hmmm, I saw that pearl and did not read the description in the listing as it is the wrong colour for me.

Good to know monster ones do exist, just need to have the money ready when one with the right size and colour comes along.

fabulous, sven. always lovely things from your store.

gassy pearls, perlinda, how do you know?

curious, i have a couple of south sea rattlers, they rattle as the nucleus is loose. are these gassy too and sven you have certainly warned abt the noxious fumes of these as one drills...

I have seen the lovely ones currently on offer at Augustus-Collection. However, I am after something bigger and in silver (I can't wear gold or cream as they do not suit my skin tone). :cool:

When I was in HK back in 2009, my mum and I went across the border shopping, and bought me a lovely pearl pendant, which I believe is a CFW coin pearl.

It is massive, over 30mm in length I believe, and have taken some pics, along with my other pendants, including my silver SSP that is about 18mm x 16mm.

The SSP is small when placed next to the coin pearl.

I shall post some pics later.

Hi DK, i understand and hopefully some silver monsters will come up soon and you will be the first to know!

Adeline, how did you drill the pearls? Fully or half? If you are able to find the drill hole, insert the finding and glue it
in place it should work just fine, like with any other pearl.

You also could re-drill the pearl very carefully and make sure the nucleus doesn't slip away before you are able to set it.

Sven

Sven,

I am on your eBay mailing list already, and shall keep a look out for the monster silver ones.

OMG, that is MASSIVE!

DK :D

To be honest, it may be a monster in size, its shape does not appeal to me as it is too bulbous for my liking, sorry!

However, this one in your current listing is gorgeous!

eBay Item No. 200778261188

That is a beautiful necklace!

However, I would have made it with red beads and silver-coloured beads, as I don't wear yellow gold.

Just a thought while I am on here.

Would it be possible for me to collect enough big silver colour SSPs to form a necklace over time? How easy is it to find sufficient pearls of similar colour to form a necklace such as the one you have just posted please, Sven?

Here is a pic of 3 of my pendants, the SSP, the CFW coin, and the Tahitian bug.

The 20p UK coin has an overall diameter of 21.4mm.

attachment.php

I'd love a SSP the size of my CFW coin.

:D

Wow, I love the metalwork (filigree) or would you call it an embellishment? Gorgeous design!

those are some very lovely pieces, you should keep all of them ;)

Regarding your questions about the necklace, we select all our pearl by hand one by one, sometimes out of many kilos only a handful or less which we prepare to be sold.
The silver blue gray ones are even more tricky, the particular necklace took several years until we had all pearls together.

I agree instead of emeralds it would also look great with rubies or even tanzanites.

Sven

Sven,

It does not surprise me to hear it will take a few years in order to find sufficient silver colour baroques for a necklace.

Hence I was so happy when I came across this SSP necklace when I was in HK, and had to buy it:

attachment.php

The pearls are semi-round, and surface finish quite good for what I paid for the necklace. And I was able to get a 10mm diamond ball clasp to go with it at the same time.

I shall PM you later if that is ok, to ask for advice on how to start acquiring silver SSP baroques for a necklace, as I really like the one I posted the link from your eBay shop earlier.

Back