French Bullion Wire

Pearlcat

Can anyone advise me as to a good source of french wire. Although I've done a search on the internet, prices seem to vary widely. I have never used it before and I'm wondering if I should get a supply of different sizes or if you experienced beaders find that one particular size works well for most of your pearl stringing work? Thanks.

Wow! Look at all the pretty colors! I haven't bought bullion in ages but I think I have a couple of sizes on hand. What I do remember is I don't like plated bullion. It breaks down. I do like sterling silver (never had a tarnish problem) and the vermeil. But those colors sure are tempting!

Pearlcat, where do you live? We might be able to help you find a beading store with french wire so you can at least see it before you decide what size to order.

I like "fine" size wire with up to 20 test PowerPro because you can barely see it, but some silk might not want to pass through it without snagging. I center it on the string, put a jump ring (or the clasp, if I'm sure I won't want to take it off) on, then I make an overhand knot and tighten it (just like I do between pearls.) That was more info than you asked for, but I'm not sure I could use fine wire if I didn't get the ring/clasp in there at the beginning.

I was under the impression that they were all made from the same material. Did not know they come in colors and silver-plated, vermeil, etc. I've bought from artbeads and vintagesuzanne; and I don't think they are plated.

Hi Pearlcat,
I have silver and gold (plated) I think in all the 3 sizes, fine, medium and heavy. The fine I use almost never as it is so small so I have problem to slip it over the needle. Medium works for most sizes and the heavy one could be used with large pearls with a large clasp. So far I have hade no problems with deterioration. Other colours I have not seen. As for the vendors, as already mentioned above, Hye, Firemountains, Artbeads, Rio Grande and Pearlescence.

Last edited:
Hi pearlcat - I also try to keep to sterling silver and gold vermeil, but occasionally use a matte finish plated one if that matches the clasp I am going to use.
Cathy - love the heliconias!!

We have several threads discussing gimp. It is the best search word, because it is the only unique word for the product and the best search word, too.

Thanks for all your advice. Decided to order from Artbeads. Also ordered some Power Pro -- can't wait to use them both!

Hi Pearcat....one thing to keep in mind. Handle it very very gently. It is quite easy to 'crush' so when you pick up a strand to snip off a tiny bit, handle it with extreme care. Good luck!

When I start to use a new length I always now cut it all up at once. Otherwise it does indeed stretch, kink, tangle, crush and otherwise self-destruct.

When I start to use a new length I always now cut it all up at once. Otherwise it does indeed stretch, kink, tangle, crush and otherwise self-destruct.

Wendy, is your gimp real gold and sterling silver and not just the plated type? The price would suggest that as the ones I bought were a bit cheaper.

Wendy, is your gimp real gold and sterling silver and not just the plated type? The price would suggest that as the ones I bought were a bit cheaper.

Her site says they are plated.

Thanks for all the great information! I found some at a bead store last night (plated) and cut it up as Wendy suggested. I can definitely see how that prevents one from handling it less in the long run and thus preserving it.

I was thinking the same. Ooops, someone already said they are plated.

Back