first attempt at wire wrapping and a ??

robinmce

Hi all. I finally got my supplies and have been playing around at wire wrapping. My wraps aren't perfect by any means but are improving.
My question is how to get the little end to lie flat...I'm pulling my hair out over this and have a bloody fingertip from being poked.
My first beading injury!!: eek:
Here's a pic of my keshi charm bracelet and necklace. Will probably be redone later ( guess I officially have the "beader-bug")
Robin

Attachments

• keshi.jpg
    keshi.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 51
  • keshi1.jpg
    keshi1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 55
Hi
to get the end smoothed, cut it on the diagonal , with the tip of the snips pointing in towards the 'stem' with fine snips then smooth it around the 'stem' with your pliers so that it tapers in. (I hope you follow that)
I hope you are using silver, as you will kick yourself soon if you make such pretty work in plated.
nice pearls and great work
cheers
Wendy

Thanks so much for all your comments,
yes pearlescence I'm using silver and have ordered some argentum as well.
Thanks for your hints. I can see that cutting it at an angle would help.......that little tail is hard to bend also turning to get at it
Anyways it all made sense and I will try it out!!
I'm pleased with these but the keshi are just so pretty it would be hard to make anything ugly!!
Robin

You sort of smooth it round the stem with the flat of the pliers, turn them around the stem and the tail (which will be getting thinner towards the very end with a diagonal cut) will lay against the stem fairly smoothly
Just watch you don't cut through the stem while you are at it - I've done that a couple of times, trying to get the nip nip tip of the snips right in there to cut really close
If you don't follow any of this (and I'm not entirely sure I do myself!) then when I get a chance I could try and photograph myself doing it one handed

My question is how to get the little end to lie flat...I'm pulling my hair out over this and have a bloody fingertip from being poked.
/QUOTE]

Beautiful work and designs - I love the innovative use of keshi pearls! Truly lovely.

Now, with regard to the sharp stubborn little wire end question, I highly recommend you invest in a pair of needlenose or sharpnose pliers with an extremely sharp, fine point - the inexpensive versions made in India can work quite well - a good tool to smoosh that annoying little end into submission...

Sheri

Hmmm, Have the pointy end pliers but the end is a little long to smoosh.
I think I need better snips with a needley nose to get close in there, mine may be a bit big
Thanks for all the tips, much appreciated.:)
Robin

To get the little end to lie flat, I use a crimping tool as pliers (use the rounded the part that makes the crimp bead into a rounded shape.)

Hi Robin,
They're lovely and I especially like the bracelet.
May I use the design to make a bracelet for my daughter please ?
She'd love it....
And you'll find the very fine nosed pliers will tuck those ends in beautifully. Thanks for showing your work.

p

p

Hi Robin,
Those are so cute!!! Thanks for showing your work. It's nice to know that some of us are getting beader bugs :) Enjoy.

I kept seeing so many unusual and creative designs that our members are creating such as Nerida, Mervione, Sheri La corsetiere, Jerin, Caitlin, Boo, etc... Thank you all for showing us your work and tips.

Hi Robin,
They're lovely and I especially like the bracelet.
May I use the design to make a bracelet for my daughter please ?
She'd love it....
And you'll find the very fine nosed pliers will tuck those ends in beautifully. Thanks for showing your work.

Of course you may! I'm flattered you like it so much.
I love how they swing around so I can admire the colors.
I've tried all your tips and seem to be having better luck now tucking the ends in... but still getting better cutters!

Thanks Robin,
Daughter is a Tiffany freak, but I'm working on her to love pearls and this bracelet is just the thing, so thanks again.
Lindstrom flush cutters are the best I've tried. They're brilliant.

Robin, beautiful! I love when wrapped pieces are coupled with a jump ring. Makes the piece so much more wearable. You can also try bent nose pliers.

I like your pieces very much - again, especially the bracelet. It's fun starting to make your own things, don't you think?

Sueki - I think weaning your daughter off Tiffany would be very beneficial....

Hi I've been practicing my wrapping and it is getting much better....thanks to all the tips I received! Thanks everyone . I attempted briolette wrapping with top drilled small keshis .
So here's my earrings!

Attachments

• keshiearring1.jpg
    keshiearring1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 57
  • keshiearrings.jpg
    keshiearrings.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Robin,

Great earrings! Beautiful keishi! It's super fun, huh!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Very fun and a bit addictive!
Time flies then its the middle of the night....
but I have something to show for it
(other than dark circles under my eyes):eek:

Robin

Back