Faceted Tahitian pearls?

Precious Pearl

I have seen pictures of some faceted Tahitian pearls that I really liked. Does anyone know where I can find good quality faceted Tahitian pearls (I am looking for a pair for earrings)?

Do you mean pearls that were nucleated with a faceted bead, as opposed to a round bead?

Or do you mean pearls that were round and then the nacre was faceted to give flat surfaces all over the pearl?

Do you mean pearls that were nucleated with a faceted bead, as opposed to a round bead?

Or do you mean pearls that were round and then the nacre was faceted to give flat surfaces all over the pearl?

I mean round pearls that have been given a faceted surface all over the pearl.

Faceted Tahitian pearl drop earrings set on 18k yellow gold

Oh, those are beautiful, but pricy.: $3785 for one Tahitian on a necklace.

There would be several reputable vendors out there. I am sure :)

Oh, those are beautiful, but pricy.: $3785 for one Tahitian on a necklace.

I have found very cheap ones on Etsy but I assume the quality is not the best. I am not sure of if I need the best quality available but I certainly want to pearls that looks nice.

I bought some faceted pearls from Wen, on Etsy. They were of varying quality. (Note: the picture was taken from a distance, then cropped to fit the file size limit -- the pearls are actually rounder than they look):
faceted pearls from Wen, on Etsy

Thanks a lot - this was very helpful! Now I guess I just have to find someone who can sell me two loose pearls.

You are very welcome. On the bottom of that page there is a link "お問い合わせ" meaning "contact", click it and it allows you to send email. I would email them and ask if they or any of their retailers sell a pair if I were you.

Sorry just want to chip in that 華真珠 in Japanese means pearl blooming like flowers. Though the word 華 alone in Chinese does mean China

You are very welcome. On the bottom of that page there is a link "お問い合わせ" meaning "contact", click it and it allows you to send email. I would email them and ask if they or any of their retailers sell a pair if I were you.

Thanks! I am afraid that their prices are above my budget. If one Tahitian pearl on a necklace is 3785 USD and I need two pearls, then I unfortunately have to look elsewhere...

Faceted pearls can be quite pricey!

There is only one company and one person that does this work in Japan. There are other cheaper versions out there, but they are not anywhere near the quality of Komatsu-san's work. They typically have a booth at the Hong Kong show and the pearls are definitely expensive, but each is really a work of art.

Does they make each by hand ? And how? They are very pretty.

Last edited:
There is only one company and one person that does this work in Japan. There are other cheaper versions out there, but they are not anywhere near the quality of Komatsu-san's work. They typically have a booth at the Hong Kong show and the pearls are definitely expensive, but each is really a work of art.

Thanks Jeremy - this is very useful information! Do you know if any of the ones selling cheaper versions at least have "acceptable" quality? I of course would like to get two pearls from Japan but unfortunately I think they are way out of my price range.

jshepherd is totally accurate on that...it is like talking about carved pearls: it is a labor of love, time, skill...and there are very, very few people that can actually make these faceted pearls. I tried once to do one, just to get an idea of how it feels (also did a carved one) and I can imagine trying on at least 100 pearls before I started to just get "one right" (not perfect!).

Here is a photo of a Cortez Faceted Pearl I found at INHORGENTA back in 2017...the first one I've seen (for Cortez) and even a faceted Cortez Mabe!
Cortez Faceted Pearl

Cortez Faceted Mabe Pearl

Thanks very much for the info jshepherd

CortezPearls these two beauties are fascinating :D! Thanks for sharing with us to see! Is this kind of faceting done in the lapidary way like how the "fine cut" gemstones get faceted using flat lap system and discs, and accurately calculated angle tables? So interesting, I wish I can try that too, maybe one day in the farrr future :32:...

Back