Enhancer

Mervione

I know nothing about how to make jewellry and I?d like to make an enhancer. So I?m wondering what I need to make one (well, except for a pearl.). I found this one, http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H209608FD but how am I going to attach the pearl to it?

I started another thread ago about titanium earrings, and some people sent me links to findings on various sites, and I?m wondering how I?m supposed to attach the pearls to them? Glue? Doesn?t that hurt the pearls?

Sorry if my questions are silly.

I know nothing about how to make jewellry and I?d like to make an enhancer. So I?m wondering what I need to make one (well, except for a pearl.). I found this one, http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H209608FD but how am I going to attach the pearl to it?

I started another thread ago about titanium earrings, and some people sent me links to findings on various sites, and I?m wondering how I?m supposed to attach the pearls to them? Glue? Doesn?t that hurt the pearls?

Sorry if my questions are silly.

If using enhancers you would need a bail that goes together with the enhancer. Look at Bella Findings and findings and bails in the wished for metal.

As for pearls: if they are half-drilled, normally for use with earrings, there are special findings too, pearl-errings, pearl-studs or pearl-cups with or without pegs.

Firemountain, Bella Findings and Artbeads are some of the vendors online, where you could find tem. If you use a stud, the pearl is glued on the pin within the bowl of the stud. Don?t forget to order friction nuts or something like it to, when using studs.:) You need very little glue (Vigor Super Glue) so the pearl should be OK.

You can also use a head pin and wire wrap if the pearl is drilled through. Make sure the head pin is heavy enough (20-22 gauge).

You could use the sterling enhancer here quite easily, I think, by using a long headpin with a fully-drilled pearl. Just put the pearl on the headpin, along with any stone or silver bead accents you may want, then make a loop at the top large enough to go over the smaller part of the enhancer (in my mind, the enhancer is pictured upside-down; I'd use it with the hinge at the top), twisting the extra wire of the headpin at least twice around the base of the loop to secure it (I'm trying to simply describe wire-wrapping - I'm sure you can find plenty of examples on this site if you look...you can even look at my odd pearl creations with the bat and spider, posted a week or two ago). This way, you could actually use one enhancer bail and make multiple drops to use with it interchangeably. Plus, you've used no glue on the pearl, so if you decide you want to do something different with it down the line, you can just take it apart - the most you'd lose is one silver headpin. You could even use base metal, if you want to practice with something really inexpensive.

I personally like the use of fully drilled pearls in pendants, both for the interchangeability and the security of having something anchoring the pearl at both ends. I think I'm in good company, as the esteemed Care Ehret (from whom I've bought several gorgeous pendants) almost always usues this technique for her pearl pendants and charms, though using high-karat gold findings.

Good luck! I see a new budding beader in our midst...:)

Sheri la_corsetiere (and another proud lowly beader)

Thanks everyone for taking time to answer my questions! It?s a lot clearer now. So I simply just need an enhancerthingy and a head pin and a fulldrilled pearl? And some beads if I want any. I kinda like the idea of not putting glue on the pearl, so I?ll prob go with la corsitieres? and silversea?s suggestion about wiring.

I?m sorry, silversea, but what does gauge mean? In these circumstances.

Mervione,

the different gauge thicknesses offered can be very thin (24 - 26 gauge) and bedome thicker the lower the number gets. If You are trying to make loops or wrapping a loop you shoud use gauge 16 up to 20, perhaps. Higher will be too thin.
If you want to know more, look at Firemountain or better still - order a catalogue for free from them, then you can look up everything you want to know.:)

Round nose pliers (for forming the loop), flat nose or bent nose pliers (I use these when wrapping the wire), wire cutters (to trim off excess wire.)

Mervione,

the different gauge thicknesses offered can be very thin (24 - 26 gauge) and bedome thicker the lower the number gets. If You are trying to make loops or wrapping a loop you shoud use gauge 16 up to 20, perhaps. Higher will be too thin.
If you want to know more, look at Firemountain or better still - order a catalogue for free from them, then you can look up everything you want to know.:)

I've had good luck using thin headpins, generally 24 guage. If the item isn't too heavy, as long as you wrap the wire around the base of the loop at least two or three times, it should be plenty strong. Pearls are often drilled with fairly small holes...the 24 guage will fit through almost anything.

Sheri

I use 24 gauge head pins as well with success; also 22 gauge if the hole is large enough.

Back