Do you like my SS pearl earrings from PP? Honest opinions needed!!

pearlywhites

So I received my 11.8mm South Sea pearl stud earrings from PP today. I'm a total pearl novice, so I'm relying on you guys to let me know if you like the luster and tone on these babies. Do you like them?????

These have a silvery luster. I did not want greenish greyish since I'm Asian and have olive-y skin. The only thing I'm not sure is whether I want to wait for ones with pink tone? I tried on one pair at Mikimoto with pink luster and they were really pretty also. Which one is more valuable and desirable for pearl collectors? Silvery or rosy tone? Also, I hope to make a strand later down the line, like maybe in a few years? I would presume that a silvery tone pair would be easier to match in a necklace?

Help please!!!! Pretty please? Thank you thank you!!
Crossing the creek in DubaiGold souk in old Dubai

Hi Pearlywhites

they are beautiful white SSP pearls - congratulations on getting them - you've certainly started as you mean to go on !!

not sure what you mean by 'wait for ones with pink tone' - do you have an option open with PP ?

if you do, it will still be a matter of personal taste...... :confused: but I would go for silver with SSP... and your tag of Pearlywhites kind of fits !

and the necklace to match...... now that will be something, maybe months not years, if you really have the 'pearly bug'.... where there's a will, there's a way :eek:

congratulations also on choosing PP as the vendor - they won't let you down

lovely pearls, lovely photos :rolleyes:

thanks for posting them

what a prize you have there.....:)

I don't own any SSP, but the ones I admire most are silvery baroque pearls in huge sizes. :p

Gorgeous! I bet they look great on you.

If those pearls look great on you then they are the pearls for you.
It sometimes happens that a customer will have decided on a certain colour of pearl but when they come to try it, it looks nothing special whereas another colour or shade will be 'wow'
If that colour looks 'wow' on you then they are the right pearls for you.
So no colour of pearl is particularly more collectible. To have the 'in' fashion colour which looks like nothing on you would seem to be rather pointless. Go with what looks fabulous on you
As far as quality of the pearl goes, I am certain that Pearl Paradise pearls are best quality

Which one is more valuable and desirable for pearl collectors?
Hi Pearlwhites
IMHO, there is no "more valuable" for collectors, because collecting is adding more of what one likes.
Now if you are asking of the most valuable collector's investment, that's another question, which is as relative as "what's the most beautiful" because, it will depend either on rarity to produce or rarity to find due to high demand, and has nothing to do with beauty of what you will be happy to collect.
Now not all shades of pearls look beautiful on every person, so the most valuable will always be the ones that fit you the best.
And you can have 2 pairs as well :cool:
Enjoy your lovely ones.

They look absolutely lovely, can we see a pic of you wearing them?

Thank you all for your advice!

I just found ONE PIN DOT on a pearl. Is this permitted with AAA? It is located halfway between the top and the underside of the pearl. I'm reading the standard and it says an AAA pearl should have only one visible inclusion and set to "virtually clean"

Please let me know, again I know nothing about pearls.....I only know that for diamonds I try to buy eye clean.

I'm also curious why they wouldn't have set the post there where the pin dot is. Is there a natural way that pearls want to be set as earrings?

Otherwise, I love these pearls so much. If this "blemish" is not acceptable with AAA, then I guess I will have to return them to PP and wait for another pair?

Actually, the grading guides state that 1 single deep inclusion is allowable, and usually hidden when drilled. A "pin dot" is not considered a deep inclusion

This is from Pearl Paradise's website:

Flawless on at least 90% of pearl’s surface
Only 10% of pearl’s surface may exhibit slight, concentrated imperfections
Only a single deep inclusion allowable
Pearl should drill or set clean to virtually clean
Luster very high to excellent*

Your pearl earrings are absolutely lovely, pearlywhites. Keep in mind that pearls are Organic gems and do display some imprints from Mother Nature, which makes them unique and beautiful!

Thank you so much for your feedback!

I did not know whether a pin dot was considered a major blemish! It seems like it's not!

Thank you all!!

I love those as well! I bought a pair of peach freshwater pearls in that same setting from PP last Christmas. I always get compliments when i wear them. I have not bought SS pearls yet but i am very tempted...

I saw those also. I find them adorable. The drop golden SSP in that setting make a lovely match. They look like delicate little pears!

I GOT a pair of the drop golden SSP! I've been lurking here for sometime and the forum has already enabled me to make my second Pearl Paradise order in a month. . . . and I may have also indulged in a strand (or two) from Kojima. :p I will try to post pictures soon!

I love them -- they are so much more beautiful than I expected them to be!

Back