Do pearl types differ in weight?

Pomelo

Hello everyone, I’m curious whether different types of pearls vary in weight (all things being equal).

I’ve searched both PG and consulted with Uncle Google, but perhaps I'm not using the right words.

The reason is, I’ve been trying on various sized studs and I like ‘em big.

However, I’m concerned about the weight / impact on comfort, and I’ve read that SSPs are heavy (but is it because only SSPs get to that size typically?).

Here are the comparison shots of 13.5mm round fakes, 13.6mm button fakes and 11.1mm FWP. I find the 11.1mm FWPs comfortable enough for daily wear.

IMG_1210.jpeg

I don't think they're going to vary that much in weight, unless they're soufflés (hollow). I think comfort comes from what your earlobe can handle, plus a nice big ear nut on the back, so the stud stays up and doesn't droop. I replace the backs on all my earrings with monster sized ear nuts.

Our brilliant Pearl Dreams worked some higher math a while back to show us how much larger in volume a 1mm change can be. It will definitely affect the weight of the pearl, if they are cultured pearls. Imitation pearls will vary in weight, probably somewhat lighter. Faux pearls are good for deciding how a size might look on one's ear before making a big investment. I personally do love large studs and like BWeaves, need very large backs to prevent sagging.

Last edited:
I am guessing the weight would be pretty comparable if you had the same size in any type of large bead nucleated pearl- SS, Tahitian, Edison, but just a guess. The largest pair of studs I have is a pair of SS that are 12.7mm. I haven’t changed any of my earring backs out, but I find the earring support dots like Lobe Wonder or Bling Guard/Dots work really well. I prefer Bling Guard/Dots over Lobe Wonder as they are more sturdy and easier to apply to the back of your earlobe. They hold the pearls in place quite nicely. My personal favorite size is between 8.5-10.5.

Last edited:
I don't think they're going to vary that much in weight, unless they're soufflés (hollow). I think comfort comes from what your earlobe can handle, plus a nice big ear nut on the back, so the stud stays up and doesn't droop. I replace the backs on all my earrings with monster sized ear nuts.
Thanks!
After wearing the button studs, I find that they droop a lot less than the rounds (I guess the centre of gravity is further back / it sits closer to the ear).
When you say monster ear nuts, are they very big/heavy “normal” nuts or the ear-lifting type? I bought a multipack of these ear-lifting ones and they almost lift the studs too much!
IMG_1228.jpeg

Our brilliant Pearl Dreams worked some higher math a while back to show us how much larger in volume a 1mm change can be. It will definitely affect the weight of the pearl, if they are cultured pearls. Imitation pearls will vary in weight, probably somewhat lighter. Faux pearls are good for deciding how a size might look on one's ear before making a big investment. I personally do love large studs and like BWeaves, need very large backs to prevent sagging.
Thanks pattye, and yes - I love @Pearl Dreams’s maths haha!
My imitation pearls are so light that I forget they’re on, they’re great for travel too.
Do you have a preferred size in studs?

I am guessing the weight would be pretty comparable if you had the same size in any type of large bead nucleated pearl- SS, Tahitian, Edison, but just a guess. The largest pair of studs I have is a pair of SS that are 12.7mm. I haven’t changed any of my earring backs out, but I find the earring support dots like Lobe Wonder or Bling Guard/Dots work really well. I prefer Bling Guard/Dots over Lobe Wonder as they are more sturdy and easier to apply to the back of your earlobe. They hold the pearls in place quite nicely. My personal favorite size is between 8.5-10.5.
Thank you! I’ve been drooling over your 10/10.5mm(?) Takahashi blue akoya baroques - they are soooo yummy!
I’ve never used Blingdots before out of laziness (as this requires an extra step in the getting ready process, and I am very lazy!), so I bought a multipack of ear lifting backs instead :)

My monster ear nuts are just the big round metal ones. Although for larger pearls, the kind you have would be great to prevent droop.

Thank you, Pomelo! The baroque natural grey Akoya studs are 10.51mm. They are actually pretty roundish to the eye. I have several pairs of studs from Takahashi including another pair of baroque natural grey that are 9-9.5 that I tend to wear more often. I love the silvery blue color on the ears. They have an icy look to them.

Baroque natural grey studs, 10.51mm, from Takahashi.
IMG_9475.jpeg

Thank you, Pomelo! The baroque natural grey Akoya studs are 10.51mm. They are actually pretty roundish to the eye. I have several pairs of studs from Takahashi including another pair of baroque natural grey that are 9-9.5 that I tend to wear more often. I love the silvery blue color on the ears. They have an icy look to them.

Baroque natural grey studs, 10.51mm, from Takahashi.
View attachment 469716
Love these, the overtones are amazing!

Back