David Beckham and Men's Jewelry

Beckham joins an illustrious list of male personalities ... including deep-sea diver Yoram Zekri, Swiss movie actor Christophe Lambert, French rugby star Christophe Dominici, Real de Madrid soccer star Flavio Conciensao, Mr. Spain 2001, Pablo Martin, and John675

Oh, the article is 6 years old....

GemGeek said:
Beckham joins an illustrious list of male personalities ... including deep-sea diver Yoram Zekri, Swiss movie actor Christophe Lambert, French rugby star Christophe Dominici, Real de Madrid soccer star Flavio Conciensao, Mr. Spain 2001, Pablo Martin, and John675

Now if Mr. Spain 2003 wore them, I would wear them.

GemGeek said:

You're so funny GemGeek - I sure will take the opportunity to be in that list! We can add Pierce Brosnan as well (at least he modeled a Tahitian & leather choker on Italian GQ).

I've branched out from Tahitian by adding a drop pearl Sea of Cortez from Care. What's next...

John

Oh John, you won't be disappointed! The Sea of Cortez pearl will amaze you. Did you buy a mocha color? Be sure and post your pearl photo as soon as possible. (You know how we are)

Those large bails make it easy to add a manly neck cord! ;)

Here's a cheer for pearls for men. French free diver Yoram Zekri lives in Tahiti and teaches people (like me) to dive deeper and hold their breath for longer. Nice guy and his classes are open to the public if anyone is visiting Tahiti.

Randy Jackson of American Idol wore a white pearl choker with 8-9mm or so pearls and two pearl stud earrings. He looked very comfortable wearing them too. They looked fine, actually.

Look for more of this trend!

Hi Josh,

I was reading about one of those secret breathing techniques, where the diver stores air in his armpit and can somehow use it to take a breath during the dive! Now that is intriguing!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

I guess this is just proof that Perfectpearls are hard to find. Where'd he go?
Pattye that's hysterical. If you can find a link to that I would love to see it.
Caitlin thanks for keeping our wayward tendencies in line.

Hi Josh and All,

Took me a bit to recall where it was, but on the Farlang website, the book by Streeter, Pearls and Pearling Life, page 232:

...... they feed them with dry meats and in a little quantity, avarice putting them upon these abstinences, but besides this, they put upon their nose little pincers made of buffalo's horn, which stoppeth their nostrils, they stuffe their ears with cotton wool. Others hold oil in their mouths, especially those who cannot hold their breath long. Others hold their mouth under their armpits, and after that manner breathe two or three times under water. There is a sack of stones or sand tied to each of their feet to make them sink straight to the bottom, and another bag tied to their waist, to put their oysters in. There is a cord fastened under their armpits held by them who remain in the boat, and they under water hold another cord in their hands, which they draw to give notice to those in the boat that they can now hold their breath no longer, and that they must draw them up quickly.
"When they have found a thousand or two of these oysters, they sell them at adventure, without knowing what is within them. The meat of the oyster is without relish, and of very ill digestion, and is so far from being so good to eat as the meat of our oysters from Spain, or those of England, that the very fisherman disdain them.......' It is indeed a fascinating read.

Pattye

p.s. yes, truth is still stranger than fiction!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Pattye! I just tried to hold my "breath under my armpit" and it aint easy. Interesting too that they would go down feet first. That sounds awful scary to me. What a bummer to lose that sort of knowledge. When you throw ocean navigation into that picture you can start to get an idea of the sophistication and know-how of ancient Polynesians. We still don't really know how they got to Tahiti or came to inhabit the rest of Polynesia.

Geez, Josh, I should have known you would try it! I can't wait to meet you in Tucson!:D

Pattye

I think I think I saw a tahitian bracelet on Randy Jackson on American Idol last night. It seemed to have earthy overtones or body color. It wasn't a long take so I'm not sure. Anyone else see it?

I didn't watch but I would not be surprised. Last year he wore a white pearl choker of 8-9mm pearls (maybe 9-10mm) with white pearl studs ON THE LARRY KING SHOW!!!

Thanks Pattye! I just tried to hold my "breath under my armpit" and it aint easy. Interesting too that they would go down feet first. That sounds awful scary to me. What a bummer to lose that sort of knowledge. When you throw ocean navigation into that picture you can start to get an idea of the sophistication and know-how of ancient Polynesians. We still don't really know how they got to Tahiti or came to inhabit the rest of Polynesia.

Ya know Josh, I just can't get this image out of my head. I do hope, for the sake of comic relief, you at least had someone watching. :D

Back