Cleaning out a storage unit we bought and almost threw these away...

HarleyB

Hello I hope I'm in the right spot but I recently purchased a storage unit in an auction. While going through some of the boxes I tossed a crown royal bag that was stuffed into a old tin can in the trash pile. My wife later picked it up and we found these two strings of pearls inside the bag. From everything I can find I believe they are at least real. However the community i live in doesn't seem to have anyone with any expertise in the subject so I now ask can you tell me what kind of Pearls I have and possibly their estimated value. pearls4.jpg pearls1.jpg

Attachments

• pearls2.jpg
    pearls2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 41
HarleyB,

What a fun find! These 2 strands, based on your photos, are cultured freshwater pearls from China. The pearls are all nacre; there is no bead inside. The knotting isn't stretched out or dirty, and the longer rope style is popular now.

One strand has "ringed" pearls; the gold, brown and gray ones are dyed. The strand of baroque, nugget shape pearls looks like it may have some light pink, peach or lavender pearls, likely natural colors, mixed with the white ones.

I'd estimate the value of these to be less than $100. You can find similar pearls on ebay for comparison.

I feel like I"m following Pattye around the forum but I agree with her. :)

Thank you very much for that information believe it or not there apparently is nobody in Manhattan Ks that would even attempt to give me any kind of answer and they all had the chance to hold and exam them in person. I really appreciate your time and expertise and honestly it seems that my wife might just be keeping these. The longer we have them and how different and unique these two necklaces look (at least in our opinions) seems to be forming a bond between herself these little marvels. once again thank you for your time.

What a nice surprise to find these pearls! I'm jumping on the Pattye train; agree completely!

Back