Can these two baroque necklaces be compared?

jody

Hi--

I like the look of these two necklaces, though price does vary quite a bit between the two. The more expensive one has around the same size pearls, excellent luster and same quality, AA.

http://www.thepearlsource.com/8-10m...e-Baroque-Pearl-Necklace_10_collection_92.htm

The less expensive strand is also AA, around the same size pearls, (though there is a typo about size, think it is 8.26-10.8mm, not 9.26) but would one assume the luster perhaps is not as high? It is not stated, so I'm thinking that is the reason for the lower cost.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/detail.aspx?ID=2013

Thanks for you opinions. I am really intrigued by the circled pearl shape, any thoughts on this style of pearl?

Jody
PS--I am the one who lost her dad in December and I'm making some pearl purchases. I am purchasing three pearl strands (have three daughters I want to pass them onto), placed an order for a white strand with PP, now looking at the baroque tahitians and still unsure of the third strand, perhaps a colored strand or rope.

I would rather guess that it is the seller's pricing scales rather then anything about the pearls that makes the most of the price difference.

With neither grading or pictures precisely comparable between sellers, it's a dib in the dark...

It looks like the first strand may have somewhat higher lustre and a few more blemishes then the other. Circlee black pearls tend to have the brightest lustre and most impressive, other-worldly colors at their best ;). And both strands seem to be of high quality.

I'd expect either to glow in the dark, frankly, with slight matter-of-taste differences in any aspect except... the quantity of blemishes. Clearly, even that is a matter of personal choice after all: I could imagine how someone else could make a more extreme trade-off between the two then I am inclined to.

Any chance you could order both and ... return? I am not sure how tasteful this sort of shopping is :eek: but... so is the lack of standard grading for pearls in this blind online setting! :rolleyes:

Frankly, I cannot make up my mind between the two either. The second strand seems to have well fewer blemishes (which would tip the balance, price and all) but then, the image doesn't show as much detail, so.. what could I possibly say for sure?!

My 2c...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to tell the difference...

Hard to tell the difference...

Yes, I thought it was hard to tell the difference between the two. From all my reading and research, it seems that circled pearls do have a lot of luster, and that the darker color is why I am attracted to them. Many of the baroque necklaces I've looked at on various pearl web sites seem to show a lot of silver colored ones, and they seem to be more expensive, but not sure why?

I am not opposed as to ordering both of them since they both have generous return policies, was just curious as to why the price difference seemed so great between the two?

I did like The Pearl Source web site tool of allowing you to roll over the necklace and zoom in on the colors, blemishes, etc. Kind of fun thing to do.

Any chance you could order both and ... return?
Best Solution!

One thing to note though, on the pearl source site you can purchase multiples of that strand - meaning it may not be the exact strand you will receive.

on Pearl Paradise you can only order one so most likely that is the exact strand you will receive.

May or may not matter to the average consumer, but some food for thought.

Chatted with Nat at Pearl Paradise concerning strand.

Chatted with Nat at Pearl Paradise concerning strand.

Just chatted with Nat concerning the less expensive strand at PP. She said it was high luster and moderately blemished...meaning you could see the blemishes when holding in your hand. Anyone have experience with Tahitians that are moderately blemished and wearing them? Any advice to maybe keep looking for pearls that are less blemished? I don't have any experience with baroque tahitians and all help is appreciated.

I find that as long as the color/orient is exactly what you want, blemishes are not usually a problem. I absolutely loved the tahitian/keshi bracelet I got from PP and it was swimming in colors. My eye would not actively seek blemishes. With PP the photographs are toned down to mute the color/luster so you always get a strand that is better than what you see, AND it's the exact same strand in the picture. PS does not exactly have a good reputation around here although they do have a few happy customers, but I'm not going to say much more since you could very well be happy with their product. It's not a company I would support based on the image they've projected here. There have been a few designs I've liked in the past but I could not justify the purchase given the attitude.

Just chatted with Nat concerning the less expensive strand at PP. She said it was high luster and moderately blemished...meaning you could see the blemishes when holding in your hand. Anyone have experience with Tahitians that are moderately blemished and wearing them? Any advice to maybe keep looking for pearls that are less blemished? I don't have any experience with baroque tahitians and all help is appreciated.

Jody - 'moderate blemishing' really is nothing to worry about at all. I have pearls which are graded in this way and you can hardly see the blemishes. The fact that they are there, and number more than one or two (often very small) marks on each pearl, would actually put it into this category. There often isn't a lot between 'lightly blemished' and 'moderately blemished'. If I were you I would concentrate on getting the colours you like with good lustre. I think my Pearl Paradise baroque Tahitians were described as moderately blemished, but only the larger pearls have a few marks on - and they're hardly noticeable.

Both the sellers you mention have beautiful pearls, I have bought from both. In terms of the Pearl Source using stock photographs, what you receive will (in my experience) perfectly resemble what is pictured.

If you're not sure I would take the advice of other members and get both to compare, although in my experience this can sometimes lead to both being kept, so watch out! :)

PG x

Jody, sincere condolences on your loss, I hope you find something perfect - it sounds like you have some really nice ideas there. I don't have any Tahitians (getting very tempted, though, so many great photos recently), but personally (just my own taste) I'd be more concerned about blemishes on round pearls than baroque ones. I guess to me baroques have a more earthy/natural look, and the swirls and shapes and blemishes (so long as they are not too prominent) give them character. So if I ever give in and buy some, I'm going to focus on shape, luster, and color, color, color!

The others have made some excellent points. I would add that PP might have additional strands for you to look at, don't know if you had a chance to ask Natalie (they have more inventory than they post online).

Good luck in finding the perfect strand! By the way, I really like the circles - the ones you've found are very pretty, and I think you can't go wrong with PP (I don't have any experience with PS).

Perle

I'd be careful there, if you offer suggestions like that, someone might accuse you of being a member of the value-challenged under 30 set . . . .

I'd wish! ;) Just got that one from Caitlin! [well, no, but I'm not good at returning anything either, even shoes that do not quite fit, let alone pearls...]

Hi--

I like the look of these two necklaces, though price does vary quite a bit between the two. The more expensive one has around the same size pearls, excellent luster and same quality, AA.

http://www.thepearlsource.com/8-10m...e-Baroque-Pearl-Necklace_10_collection_92.htm

The less expensive strand is also AA, around the same size pearls, (though there is a typo about size, think it is 8.26-10.8mm, not 9.26) but would one assume the luster perhaps is not as high? It is not stated, so I'm thinking that is the reason for the lower cost.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/detail.aspx?ID=2013

Thanks for you opinions. I am really intrigued by the circled pearl shape, any thoughts on this style of pearl?

Hi Jody,

I have no experience with PS but the strand pictured seems to have more intense colours than PP:s strand, it is of course also twice the price!

I myself have ordered Tahitian strands from PP (dark almost round ones with peacock, on these strands it is important to get pearls with as little blemishes as possible, if the pearls are large, these blemishes are easier to spot but one of my other Tahitians is a circled strand like the two you have pictured for us and the circled ones very often have extremely nice overtones and luster and as they are circled you won?t see the blemishes for all the circles:D.

My strand has the same size as PS and it is the most colourful of all my strands. This one I bought from The Pearl Outlet. The others I have are silver and light silver with aqua/rose overtones. Very pretty!" They all come from PP.

I hope PP also will have this possibility to magnify the pearls, it?s very cool and one can see the colours pretty well.

As I told before it seems to be OK to return a strand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was also told that the one he currently has in stock is not the exact one in the picture. So you may not receive the same thing pearl by pearl.

This isn't always a negative - remember that all Freshwater and Akoya are sold in this manner and for the most part this works out fine.

I have to pipe in here on this one, even though I usually try to stay out when our pearls are compared in a thread...

I think individual photography is a must with Tahitians. Also, if it is possible to mute the luster, no matter what light the recipient views the strand in, it will always be as good or better than the picture.

Every Tahitian strand, unlike freshwater and akoya, is different. Sometimes the difference is subtle, and yes it is possible to recreate a piece to very close specifications, but this is not really possible with off-round, circle or baroque strands. So using a "generic" photo is NOT representative of what the customer will receive.

The zoom in feature is something we have considered in the past. I do not like the one on Pearl Source, however. If we did decide to use one we would use one similar to Angela Carol. It is much more user friendly.

But there is one question that comes up with the "zoom" feature. If P. Source is using a generic photo and the photographed piece is not the one the customer will receive, what is the point of having the zoom feature? Its purpose is primarily to examine inclusions. Color and luster can be viewed in a 3x5 picture. In pieces that are absolutely certain to be generic photos, like freshwater and akoya, use of such a feature would certainly be misleading in my opinion. What good does it do to examine a generic photo under a loupe?

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your comments, which truly address the issues around purchasing based on photographs and zoom features!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Judgements should be based on the quality of the product you recieve (and the service) rather than speculation. I possess pearls from three of the main sellers mentioned on this forum. All are outstanding. I also have pearls from The Pearl Source. These pearls were exactly as pictured on their site, stock photos or not, and they are very beautiful. Perhaps I've received the actual items pictured, but I find that unlikely.

I think you should just choose whichever strand you like the look of. Or, as was suggested earlier, order both and see which shouts loudest when you open the box.

PG x

I find that as long as the color/orient is exactly what you want, blemishes are not usually a problem. I absolutely loved the tahitian/keshi bracelet I got from PP and it was swimming in colors. My eye would not actively seek blemishes.

I totally agreed with Raisondetre on this one. I would consider my strand "moderate blemishing" but people are drawn to the colors and the luster of the pearls. You can compare the pearls on the strand and the **flawless** pearls on the earrings and you would agree with me and Raisondetre.

http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii230/Space_Needle/Pearls/?action=view&current=Circle7.jpg

And different views:
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii230/Space_Needle/Pearls/?action=view&current=Circle.jpg
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii230/Space_Needle/Pearls/?action=view&current=Circle3.jpg

Last edited:
Wow!

Wow!

What a beautiful strand. THANK YOU sharing such lovely photos. I love the COLORS!

I totally agreed with Raisondetre on this one. I would consider my strand "moderate blemishing" but people are drawn to the colors and the luster of the pearls. You can compare the pearls on the strand and the flawless pearls on the earrings.

http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii230/Space_Needle/Pearls/?action=view&current=Circle7.jpg

And different views:
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii230/Space_Needle/Pearls/?action=view&current=Circle.jpg
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii230/Space_Needle/Pearls/?action=view&current=Circle3.jpg

Oh my goodness, what beautiful pearls, they are breathtaking! I shall have to start saving ..... :)

I totally agreed with Raisondetre on this one. I would consider my strand "moderate blemishing" but people are drawn to the colors and the luster of the pearls. You can compare the pearls on the strand and the **flawless** pearls on the earrings and you would agree with me and Raisondetre.

And different views:

May I ask where did you purchase this strand? It is so beautiful. I am on a quest for a Tahitian baroque, probably aqua tones, though.

Ooooh, I like that strand!

I can see some of the blemishes if I am looking for them, but nothing that overpowers the blast of lustre and color.

Back