Can I extract this pearl?

Pbkim13

Can I extract this blister pearl and polish off the nacre to expose the black/purple pearl?? Will it be solid or be hollow??

This is from a mussel

Attachments

• IMG_1955.jpeg
    IMG_1955.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1954.jpeg
    IMG_1954.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1953.jpeg
    IMG_1953.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I'll take this one.

You'll only find out when you start digging, cutting the blister out of the shell first. You might try polishing, as the extinct art of pearl pealing requires experience and skill and the patience of a yogi (as described in Louis Kornitzer, 'The Pearl Trader', from the 1930s). There would be no economical motive for you (or anyone else) to do this, but it may provide some entertaining hours.

I'll take this one.

You'll only find out when you start digging, cutting the blister out of the shell first. You might try polishing, as the extinct art of pearl pealing requires experience and skill and the patience of a yogi (as described in Louis Kornitzer, 'The Pearl Trader', from the 1930s). There would be no economical motive for you (or anyone else) to do this, but it may provide some entertaining hours.
One of the best pearl books ever! I have it on my nightstand.

Here’s a video not the best quality
That's helpful, as it looks like the pearl was quite well formed before it became attached to the shell. The nacre layers after attachment are not attractive. The same happens in clam pearls, when something originally beautiful can become grotesque. Again, the expertise required to remove nacre layers no longer exists, careful polishing is the closest equivalent, and it would be for your own entertainment.

If the consideration is value, the shell with blister pearl makes a nice conversation/collection piece.

Last edited:
You can basically process it like a Mabe pearl. It is likely this one fused to the shell, so it may even be easier.

One of the best pearl books ever! I have it on my nightstand.
I've never been able to get my hands on one of these...not available in digital format either :(

I've never been able to get my hands on one of these...not available in digital format either :(
Just looked on Amazon and Gyan Books out of New Delhi has a leather-bound edition, $62 delivered no charge for Prime by early August. I'd say that would make a perfect gift for a pearl lover, even if that pearl lover is one's self!

Back