Buying a necklace - need help, please

They look like heavily over-dyed freshwater pearls..there is none of the vibrancy of colour variation which I want to see and expect in any tahitian pearl. They might as well be plastic beads from the photo and the description tells me nothing about quality really, size of pearls, lustre, surface....
If you want Tahitian pearls then you could start by learning more about them by looking at Josh's Kamoka Pearl Farm website - www.kamokapearls.com. It is very informative, and has lots of fabulous photos of how tahitians should look
It may be a bias on my part but I want my pearls to look like real pearls, not like any old beads
(Is it okay to be critical when I am on a different continent and out of the running, as it were?)

Have you seen a tahitian strand in person? This is a large purchase, at least to me. My advice is it's worth the drive to Denver to see overtones in person before committing. Be ready for sticker shock at brick and mortar stores though. But it's fun trying them on to decide the overtone. If you can't decide afterward, get a multicolor strand.

Last edited:
Hi Addy,

I would never buy from a stock photo. You really have to see what you are going to get, exactly from the necklace you are interested in. Don't believe in stock photos. Have to agree with what dkan 168 they look dull to me. I would not buy them. You are sure to find much better. Take you time and really look around. You are the buyer and are willing to spend a considerable amount and as such you have the power to take your time and insist on knowing exactly what you will get. But regardless don't like the look of those pearls.

Take your time above all else and really look around and as others have said check out the big here on this list. They won't push but they have the right stuff.

Dawn
eBay ID dawncee333

Hi Addy,

Just saw the next so called Tahitians you are now considering buying. I agree with pearlescense - they are dull and I have seen much better dyed freshwater pearls. They could very well be badly dyed freshwater pearls. I would not pay $100 for them. Just don't do it. Learn a lot more before you decide and look at all the sites you have been given. You can't go wrong if you really shop around and get the knowledge you need.

I have much better freshwater blacks with loads of colour. Don't buy from this seller.

If I was you I would drop the site from your mind. To me it looks fishy. Pearls are not good & you could be stung badly. It is a lot of money you are thinking of spending, take your time.

Sorry for being so blunt but to me they are very ugly and not worth a fraction of the price.

Dawn
eBay Seller ID dawncee333

I'll back up the other comments here - the pearls on that site appear to be not very fine color/depth. Surprising since I'd expect stock photos to be optimistic from a quality point of view.

For a benchmark on cost - for appx $1K or less you could find a very nice (A) baroque Tahitian necklace in a range of colors in the more common sizes from a variety of sellers. More for rounds, larger high quality pearls, and/or special findings, of course.

If you do get out to a local "bricks and mortar" store to test-drive some strands, I hope you will share your experience and impressions with us.

Last edited:
Thank you again, everybody for your time and all these informative posts. Very precious!

Yestarday, I did go to the mall in Fort Collins and looked at some Tahitian pearl earings only, because they did not have any strands. There was no WOW factor there. Yes, they did not have any blemishes and the surface was very smooth but the color was a solid one with no overtones.

After reading here on this forum a lot of posts, and finding tons of pictures of Tahitian pearls, I pretty much got the picture.

They need to look alive.

So, I am not in any hurry at this time.

Thank you again and have a wonderful day.

Adi

Hi pearlescence,

I really don't see that you are out of the running - as most of us post overseas these days of the internet and fast, safe shipping are no more out of the running that I would be (from Australia) if I had enough Tahitians for a necklace, which I don't at the moment. A bracelet and earrings yes, but not a full necklace. You have the stock, you buy from the best. So you are not out of the running by any means in my opinion.

On the other hand I am "out of the running" so to speak. I can only ever buy enough to keep a few private customers and my eBay site running with good quality pearls. I have been thinking of making up a necklace of Tin Cup Tahitians with 18kt gold. Think they can look great and keeps the price down somewhat.

Dawn
eBay ID dawncee333

Age does matter IMHO - the more mature the lady, the bigger the pearls she can carry, something to do with experience and status etc. etc...

DK :)

Hello,

Just a quick note. Two pictures of my Tahitian Pearl Necklace are uploaded now.
The body color is silver-green with light peacock and eggplant overtones. Length 18 inches, Pearl size 8.2 - 12 mm . Purchased from: http://www.pearlparadise.com/
Excellent customer service!

Thank you everybody for your advise.

Hi Addy,

Your photos haven't come through. Would love to see them.

Dawn
eBay ID dawncee333

Thank you Patty!

Have you tried to go to Pictures & Albums? If you click on the first picture the second one will show up also.

Maybe I did not do it the right way but I am new to this forum, and have not figured everything out yet.

Please, let me know your findings.

Adi

Those are simply gorgeous! Congratulations and may you wear them in good health.

(Neck shot??)

Thank you Heidi:)

The neck shot is available now in Pictures & Albums.

Hi Addy, I just viewed the pics and your necklace looks PERFECT on you! Those pearls are stunners, may you always enjoy them in good health :)
Regards from Kerry.

Keshibelle, thank you so much for the compliment!

Have a great weekend!

Adi

Beautiful pearls and they look wonderful on your neck shot. You will enjoy them always.

Back