Black Pearls...Dyed Freshwater?

Camelotshadow

Got these awhile back for under $100, They are 18 in about 9.3mm with a 14k clasp.

I guess they are dyed freshwater but woule be nice if they were poor tahitians.

Attachments

• black pearl $79 far X.jpg
    black pearl $79 far X.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 64
  • Black pearls P1020868.jpg
    Black pearls P1020868.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 65
  • Black pearls P1020870.jpg
    Black pearls P1020870.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Black pearls P1020863.jpg
    Black pearls P1020863.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 61
Those are dyed freshwater pearls. I have seen something similar. To untrained eyes they resemble Tahitian pearls.
Now, talking about dyed freshwater pearls which resemble Ts, I think Pearl Dreams has a circle strand which looks like real Ts. When I saw the picture here on this forum, I thought it was a strand of genuine Ts.

Thanks...figured it but good to be sure,

They fooled the guy who puts together the good pearls & makes jewelry for a hi end shop on ventura blvd a few years back

They are most definitely dyed freshwater pearls. If purchased from eBay, I would have concerns that the clasp might not be as marked. There are a ton of fake "real" Tahitians all over eBay. To get a great idea of what real Tahitians look like, there is a thread showing IRL photos of Tahitians. Once you become familiar with the characteristics and colors these amazing pearls, it will be very easy for you to spot dyed freshwaters in comparison. And if you are ever in doubt prior to a purchase, just ask! This group is a most helpful bunch! Good luck in your search.

Thanks but the clasp is just a plain light yellow gold & of no interest to me as I like white gold but the strand was not expensive.
I could test the clasp just in case I sell it for what it is. I bought pretty sure it was not tahitian but I have not seen many tahitians.
I must see more...I really like them.

It is marked 14K PJS. I've seen PJS on some pearl pieces but I don;t know who they are.

Rio Grande and gempacked has some lovely white gold clasps. There are a couple of pearl stringing tutorials on PG, and they were very helpful when I started learning how to string my strands. :)

Have to check that out. I have one larger old spare 14mm wide oval white gold clasp. Just checked it & it says 14KT & then space & a S...wonder if that could mean 14k over silver. It shouldn;t but who knows. It wieghs .4 grams but small clasps are light.

I don;t think I would spend the money to restring these. I imagine its hard to get the knots really tight is you try to do it yourself.

I guess it would be ok to learn on these.

You can get the knots very tight by using doubled thread and pulling the 2 threads apart to seat and tighten the knot. :)

Restringing is very easy. You should try it. It is sort of addicting as well. :)

I might try it but need to get black string. The drill holes seem large enough for double but guess I need a needle that fits.
Right now the string is a bit worn but seems secure. They are decent to wear when you don;t want to worry about good stuff on the bus or when you are knockin around.

I find that a Fine size flexible wire needle works well, even with small holes. I get mine at Michael's.

At least you paid freshwater price, so apart from thinking they were something else, you're not badly out of pocket.

It wasn't much $ but least they were pearls. That reminds me I have nice mountings for I think 12mm pearls. I bought a pair of black & they turned out to have a coating that you could peel off & reveal the bead. I don't even think it was a nacre. The woman was so surprised. I'm not sure how that went as I still have them but I didnlt spend much for them & the mountings were nice & the backing were large.

I guess maybe she did know as why would you sell 12mm tahitians for $40? I think she got them on one of those cruises or trips where you fish for pearls & have them set. The settings are nice though.
Just checked 12mm bead. mounting is 10mm. I forgot about them as that was about 10 ears ago same period as strand. ///iI was getting into pearls .Guess I should find pearls to put in them!!!

The bead is still inone mounting. so hard to tell but its a smoother tooth feel but slight grit...very deceptive!
There painted over a glass bead with some sort of fish scale or resin over them.

I guess I better accid test them before I buy pearls for them but I beleive backings were marked & I have used them somewhere else.

Update...they are 10K so not 14 but still OK...who knows maybe they are 13.5K...they cheat sometimes!

Attachments

• 12 mm fake pearls P1030336.jpg
    12 mm fake pearls P1030336.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Pattye's Beaders Secret threads come in a wide array of colors and a few different sizes, and are wonderful to work with. She also carries terrific big eye needles that are a dream to thread, as well as many other supplies. These supplies are VERY reasonably priced, and Pattye is delightful to work with :) For a very modest investment, anyone can have a variety of supplies to practice and learn stringing and knotting.

Cathy, thanks so, so very much for the kind words about the Beader's Secret thread and supplies. It's a fun journey!

This side of my business is growing in ways I never planned or anticipated and is so satisfying because of all your successes, my P-G friends! Thank You!!

Back