Big Black Chinese Freshwater Pearl vs. Black Tahitian Pearls

That's the problem when you get low quality pearls that can't be considered misrepresentation or fraud, I guess. It's your opinion vs. their's. My last 2 eBay purchases were definitely NOT the real thing. The first seller responded by giving me a full refund and gave me the earrings as a gift. THe second seller (Pearlcity1998) is still in dispute and being investigated by eBay and PayPal. This may make history!! :) I owe all of my gratitude to the members of this board who helped me. For the whole story, go to the Pearls on eBay forum on this site.
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=938

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this sound right? Seller is offering to settle after I drop dispute & stop posting "bad words about transaction". :p But then this means that nothing is really solved and seller can continue same practices. I will check with PayPal & eBay.

"in order to process partial refund to your account, you need close papyal dispute first (partial refund is not allowed when dispute is opened) and stop posting any bad words about this transaction. If you agree with that, we will refund $55 back"

That is what they are asking, and that is pretty funny. Why don't you just say yes but only under the condition that the seller disclose on every one of their auctions that they are selling freshwater pearls, not Tahitian pearls.

They won't do that, they will rather have a neg feedback coz ppl will still buy from them even they have a few neg feedbacks....

Thought I'd let everyone know that the seller gave me a full refund without returning the earrings. Although I said I would settle for $35, I guess this was done to shut me up! So now PayPal has closed the dispute and eBay is continuing its investigation. There is no way that I will be able to find out the outcome, since this is all private info. All I know is that I still see the same earrings with the same photo for $199 or best offer. $5,000 "Tahitians" for $388 and some other pair of SS pearl earrings over and over again, same photos. Well, at least I got a full refund on both bad transactions and got to keep the earrings to boot! That'll teach them to lie! :D

I was wondering also about how to tell the difference between real and dyed Tahitians because I too likely have eBay fakes. Today I bought some baroque Tahitian earrings and compared them to what I'm certain now are imposters. I looked at both through a 10x loupe and it seems you can see into the real Tahitian - there is a transparency of the nacre - the pearly effect is not sitting on the surface, it comes from within. The fakes have a superficial metallic sheen. It's not unattractive, it's just not the same as the Tahitian. The Tahitian seems to glow with green, the fakes just reflect light like tinfoil. They remind me of Christmas ornaments. The Tahitian has very smooth skin while the fakes are rougher in texture. I like the fakes alot but I paid too much for them compared to available FW dyed pearls. Well, at least this way I learned something. I will attempt to get a refund from the vendor and if not chalk it up to experience.

I just checked eBay and PearlCity1998 is back to selling those earrings again with the same photo! After I complained to eBay, I noticed that they stopped offering them, although they still had the other bogus, too good to be true listings. Now we're back to the same wording, same photo for the next poor sucker. Oh, and now they've decided to keep their feedback private!!! It makes me mad after all of my correspondence with eBay. A lot of good that did. :mad:

By the way, my expensive Tahitian/diamond earrings that I bought retail are breathtaking. I hope to post a photo soon.

I have been buying on ebay for years and never had a problem, but I have never considered buying pearls or gems on ebay or anything from China, south east asia, etc. I have bought a few things from the UK but only a few times and they were cheap items so not much risk. Stay domestic and use your gut. What does a scam artist in another country have to worry about when selling online in the US...nothing.

AdamLasVegas said:
I have been buying on ebay for years and never had a problem, but I have never considered buying pearls or gems on ebay or anything from China, south east asia, etc. I have bought a few things from the UK but only a few times and they were cheap items so not much risk. Stay domestic and use your gut. What does a scam artist in another country have to worry about when selling online in the US...nothing.

I think it's all luck of the draw as to whether you will have problems on Ebay or not, as well as what you are purchasing on Ebay as to whether you are going to have problems or not. With items that are more valuable such as gems and electronics, you almost have to expect to have problems.. very sad. I would buy on Amazon over Ebay any day of the week.

Back