Begging for HELP

KaBo

Hi Everyone, I have a pearl pin that I am going to be selling, the problem is I know absolutely nothing about pearls. I was told this is a blister pearl that came out of the Mississippi, color is rose gold, weight including gold bezel is 9 grams, height is 16mm, diameter is 27mm x 21mm at bezel. Is it worth anything?, is it a blister pearl?

Attachments

• 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 61
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 65
Hi KaBo,

Welcome! Thanks for putting up some really good photos. Could you get another shot of the under side and the clasp? It looks vintage, and the rose gold would make me think so also. Did they give you any other info on the background? The colors appear to be beautifully intense. Others here on the forum are much more knowledgeable than me about such items. Were you planning to sell it on ebay? Or somewhere else?

A very interesting pin!

Some of our vintage jewelry experts live on other continents, and it may take them a few days before they check in!

Hi KaBo, and welcome to the forum! Your piece looks beautiful, and it is worth getting a more expert opinion than mine... a pm to Sueki might help. She is a bit of an expert with vintage pieces...

Hi KaBo and welcome to the forum.

I think this is a blister freshwater pearl and you probably got correct information on it. As for the value it always lies in the eye of the beholder, if it is vintage it might get you a higher price however check it out with Sueki or Pearlessence (now I get uncertain about the right name, check under Freshwater and you will find both) as they deal with vintage jewellery.

Good luck!

Pearl Pin

Pearl Pin

I really appreciate any infomation on this pearl piece. I took it to a local jeweler and he was amazed, he told me he had never seen a pearl like this. As for putting it up for auction on Ebay, that is an option. Is that a good route to go with a item like this?

Attachments

• 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 75
That pearl is dynamite!

You can take it out of the setting? How about one more excellent photo of the actual back of the pearl?

I wonder how it got to be a blister pearl? Anyone know?

But if it's glued into the setting, you don't want to be prying it loose....

Gorgeous colors!

More Pics

More Pics

Here are acouple more pictures.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 71
  • pearl back #2.jpg
    pearl back #2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 67
  • pearl & penny.jpg
    pearl & penny.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 68
I certainly wouldn't try to remove from the setting, but was hoping the back might be open to see how the blister was finished--rose gold was popular in Victorian times, and perhaps the proper jeweler or appraiser could test to see what karat gold that is, since no mark is shown. Perhaps also was made at a time when brooches were more popular than pendants?

I love it more every time I look at it ;)

Pics of clasp

Pics of clasp

Requested pictures of clasp opened and closed.

Attachments

• clasp open.jpg
    clasp open.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 69
  • clasp closed.jpg
    clasp closed.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 67
What is your opinion?

What is your opinion?

I am so very pleased :D with the information that I have recieved so far on this pearl pin. I plan on getting the gold tested since it is not marked. When I have acquired the knowledge that I have been seeking, I intend to sell this pin. What is the opinion of selling an item like this on ebay? Are there other auction sites where I would have better response?

A lovely piece.

To get the best value, it would be adviseable to obtain a certificate of authenticity from an accredited appraiser.

Confirmation of two factors, age and origin would greatly increase the value. Natural blister pearls don't normally fetch as much other natural pearls, but as others have posted here, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and as such, so is the value.

eBay is chocked full of misnamed pearls. Most pearl collectors are skeptical of claims made by sellers, so without a CoA, it would be difficult for a buyer to be certain.

Back