Balngadeshi "Black" Pearls

jaimeGL

My husband just returned from a trip to Bangladesh. Learning that the country was famous for pearls, he asked if I'd like some and I jumped at the idea and mentioned I'd love black pearls. He returned from his trip with a double strand of beautiful pearls.

I've done a little research into Bangladeshi pearls on this site and see that the country's natural pearls are prized but usually pink. The pearls I have received are beautiful, definitely natural, all slightly different in shape and size but pretty uniform (probably 8 - 9 mm each) with hues of dark gray, purple, almost blue/green or blue, and all with a slight iridescence to them. They do feel gritty and abrasive against my teeth and have what look like natural flaws. The overall look is stunning but I'd love some expert advice as to what I may have here. They came from what appears to be a reputable gallery in Dhaka and my husband was advised by a local attached to the US Embassy.

Thanks.

Not much is known about the pearling industry in Bangladesh. The country does have some Pinctada Margaratifera, so there is the remote possiblity of natural Tahitian pearls. Please take a picture and post it here.

Last edited:
They sound like color-enhanced freshwater pearls, actually. It sounds like a strand of imported Chinese, unfortunately. A strand as described would run about a half million dollars (at least). A picture would confirm, but honestly, I cannot imagine anything else it could be.

Yes, tis true they are probably imported FW pearls, but wouldn't it be fun if they weren't?

One thing you stated here jaimeGL, was that the pearls were definitely natural. In the pearl industry, this means "not-cultured", which would, as Jeremy pointed out, make them extremely valuable. What you probably meant was that they are "real" pearls, not faux.

Hi Jaime
I am no expert, but I was in Bangladesh last year and looked at a lot of pearls. I was at a conference that had literally hundreds of pearl booths set up. Without exception, they were imported cultured freshwater pearls and very overpriced, I might add.

Still, to make any kind of definitive statement about your pearls, it would help to have a picture- its like flying without instruments to guess what a pearl is without a picture.

The claims to being natural really mean they don't have a bead nucleus. I used to have an article up on this site that went into great detail about how the ones with a nucleus are not attractive to Indians, actually Hindus, because they are not solid nacre and thus do not have the correct spiritual properties.

Of all the cultured pearls, only the freshwaters meet their spiritual criteria. Indians also lay store in roundness, so baroques and keshis aren't favored either.

Thanks for your interest in my pearls.....bear with me and I'll get a photo up! Yes, "natural" meant that they were sold to my husband as not cultured pearls.

Here's a couple of photos:

P1010021.jpg

P1010023.jpg

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I gotta agree, those aren't natural pearls but cultured freshwater pearls. The cost of a natural strand that round and that uniform in color would be ridiculous.

whats really important is that you like the look and enjoy wearing them, but natural they are not - sorry.

Hi JaimeGL,

I know the pearls were a gift, but do you have any idea how much your husband paid for them?

The cold gray, slightly varied colors don't quite fit my mental image of tinted freshwater (i.e. dove to dark gray either uniformly flat or with colored iridescence but still very precisely matched colors, that is). How close have they arrived to the look of the pteria blacks?

Leaving the cultured vs. natural part on the other thread.

Those are cultured freshwater pearls and they are dyed, so there is nothing natural about them. From what I recall in prices, they will be several hundred dollers at least, except I didn't see any that large.

I have yet to see an entire strand of natural black pearls exept in a photo in Kunz' book. Natural black freshwater or salt water that well matched and a 2 strander would easily would sell at a big auction house, depending on the provenance, for $30,000-$50,000, more if they came from some royal family and can be dated.

Caitlin Williams said:
Natural black ...2 strander would easily would sell at a big auction house...

I'd say so too. And judging from the excess of natural pearl prices during thepast year... maybe mid five figures is not even the right order of magniture for something fine enough to make it into a top international auction in the first place. :rolleyes:

And even so - there was no strand of natural black pearls at all. Maybe that's one reason for the absence - that fine ones are not just rare, but nearly unheard of. If one comes up, 'bet it would make news, not just some price record (of which there were already two in the past 10 months, if I am remembering well). :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
natural pearls

natural pearls

Hi everyone,
If you would like to see several strands of natural pearl necklaces, including a strand of black saltwater, several strands of conch pearls and a strand of scallop pearls, please see our website, www.allnaturalpearls.com
Our Best Regards,
Wes

DRO:p :p :p OL TIME!!!!!! Those are just amazing!! Could you post some close ups here, please?

Thank You, WES!!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

natural pearls

natural pearls

Dear Pattye,
You can make the photos larger by clicking on the bottom right side of the photo.
Wes

Yeah, that helped alot! Do you mind my asking what are the spacers on the conch necklace? Really, they are all just fabulous. That huge Abalone so rainbow colored is huge and breathtaking. I can only imagine in person. Also love the vining one with the humingbird, congrats to you and your designer! Thank you sooooo much, Wes!

Pattye

What a beautiful collection. I really like the scallop pearl necklace. Very unusual and unique. Do you do custom work?

natural pearls

natural pearls

Hi,
The spacers on the all conch pearl necklace are white diamond beads. The spacers on the other conch necklaces are natural pearls from the rainbow lipped oyster and black diamonds.
Click on the photo and when it is larger, click again on the lower right hand corner after the icon comes up for an even closer view.
Yes, we do custom work.
Thank you.
Wes
www.allnaturalpearls.com

Hi again, Wes,

So are these necklaces knotted? On silk? Do you have any concern about the diamonds scratching the pearls? It's ok if you have design secrets you don't want to reveal. These are some of the questions that have come up on other threads, and have been of concern to some of us using much less fine pearls, but to us very precious. Again, thanks very much for sharing.:)

Pattye

Back