Bali Indonesia Pearl Farm

Wish I could buy one of those little cleaning barges...I don't know if my workers would love to stay on them during a storm ;), but it would be very efficient to clean the oysters right there! Thanks for sharing the photos and video :)

Good morning All

Thanks for the pic's and video. I understand their reason for "Starving" their shell by putting the 1mm mesh over the pannels but I do not approve. Can you let us know how long they "Starve" their shell for.
The scenery is fantastic but if people watch and listien to the video I feel this is a subject that animal liberationist's will seize upon. I feel it's a bad practice and a bad look for the South Sea Pearl Industry.
Some of you may feel I'm being picky, please understand this industry is Bronwyn and My livelyhood.

Here is your answer Rusty. I love the way Dr. Aurore wrote this so I am just copying it as she wrote it.

"We starve the oysters before the operation and depending on the location it can be from 2 up to 6 weeks. The more there is food in the environment the longer you need to starve them but it is different from site to site. You have to test it first. For this we use the 2 mm mesh around the nets. After the op there is no such thing as starving, you should make their lives very beautiful. During the first six weeks post operation there is a special position in the nets. After the first cleaning the position is normal."

I am sure she would be a good source of information to you in the future so PM me and I will send her contact info to you.

Many thanks Mikeyy

We operate on the same species of shell and have NO need to starve the animal.

Sincerely

I'm guessing it's more of a diet then starvation.

A 2mm mesh doesn't do much to keep out plankton cells that are only a few microns in size. I noticed he also mentioned gammets.

You're probably right to assume this is not so much starvation as it is conditioning.

O.K Mikeyy, I'll PM you.

Basically, watch the sequence of events. You approach a cleaning boat that clearly the dirty panels have "covers" on. The person talking to you say's it's about four weeks since they where last cleaned. The white covers are 1 mm to starve the shell and he struggles with his english to say it's to starve ths shell to ensure an empty gonad.
Bronwyn is travelling to be with Her family at the moment, so I told Her of this video and She is quite gobsmacked that they do such a thing.
Telling me you are prepared to starve shell is like standing in front of me and kicking my dog, there will be a reaction.
Have a good week end all.

O.K Mikeyy, I'll PM you.

Basically, watch the sequence of events. You approach a cleaning boat that clearly the dirty panels have "covers" on. The person talking to you say's it's about four weeks since they where last cleaned. The white covers are 1 mm to starve the shell and he struggles with his english to say it's to starve ths shell to ensure an empty gonad.
Bronwyn is travelling to be with Her family at the moment, so I told Her of this video and She is quite gobsmacked that they do such a thing.
Telling me you are prepared to starve shell is like standing in front of me and kicking my dog, there will be a reaction.
Have a good week end all.

No worries, I wouldn't kick anyones dog. I am a dog lover. Dr. Aurore loves her oysters so I am sure she wouldn't do anything to seriously harm them. They are all very devoted to what they do and I think you would like her very much. BTW if someone kicks your dog while I am there there will be a reaction from both of us. ;)

he struggles with his english to say it's to starve ths shell to ensure an empty gonad

Which were my thoughts. Even at 1mm, plenty of food should still be available to the shell, albeit restricted flow. Prolonged nutrient deprivation would cause mortalities, which doesn't seem to make sense from a standpoint dependant upon survival.

I'd rather hear him say it in French, which would likely imply conditioning, not starvation. Fasting is a recognized dietary practice, even in humans, especially prior to blood tests and other disease detection.

Moreover, it seems like a lot of handling. I was more concerned with the power washing at sea. Like Josh's operation, I'd never discharge untreated offal into the water column, in fact it's not permitted by regulation here.

Thanks Mike and Dave.

My main problem with this issue is the Starvation effect.

When any Pearl-Guiders visit our farm you will see that the volume of life forms in our tropical waters ensure that a 1mm or even 2mm size mesh will become closed off very quickly.

The contact you gave Mike shows the company is actually Australian owned so there are quite a few issues that arrise from the video.

I'll make no further comment on this thread but, I'll contact the company directly.

Enjoy your weekend all

Just saw this thread, but I went to Bali too on Feb 26-28 for some pearl stuffs but didn't get to see the farm (I also stayed on Seminyak area). I was told that there are probably only 2 big pearl farms in Bali, one is operated by Australian and the other is Japanese (the one I'm doing business with). They also told me that there's a program for anyone to invest $50 on 1 shell, and he/she has the right of the pearl that will be harvested inside it. The pearl can turn out a gem or a dud, but it seems to be a fun thing to experience for a tourist as they can check the farm too in north of Bali :)

I'm planning to go there again for the next harvest, which will be around July. It's gonna be a high season for holiday, so the island is gonna be crowded.

Great report Peter and Mikey!

RnB, I know Dr. Aurore and her man Philippe (who was speaking french in the vid) the farm manager and can tell you that they are stellar people, of the highest integrity there is. The thing is that they practice Japanese methods of pearl farming. The Japanese believe firmly that oysters need to be weakened prior to seeding. Personally, I believe that they should be as healthy and well-fed as possible so that they are strong for the potentially traumatic grafting operation. That said, I'm not of the mind that any judgement be cast on the Japanese system. The Japanese brought the industry to where it is today so I think it's good to keep that in perspective.

As for the cleaning over the water, that is exactly what my father and I worked to get banned in our atoll. Once again though, it is most definitely a bad idea in a closed environment like an atoll, but it's not inconceivable that an open ocean farming zone would have the capacity to absorb the impact.

Thanks for the photos and the interesting discussion. It's amazing what we can learn by hanging around Pearl Guide. :cool:

Plan to Visit

Plan to Visit

Hi Peter,

I was wondering if we need to make advance arrangements to visit the farm in Bali? Can you put me in touch with anyone there so I can seek permission to visit? What part of Bali is the farm located?

Many thanks,

Matt

Mike Rivers and I just came back from Indonesia where we were working with some of the pearl producers there. I thought you would like to see one of the farms in Bali.

DSC_0368.JPG

https://picasaweb.google.com/102841002367923085312/BaliIndonesiaPearlFarm?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJnCtfSAtITvKQ&feat=directlink

Thanks, Josh, for bringing up some very important issues for discussion. I am also from a closed atoll environment and we're still at the initial starting stages but the cleaning of oysters is a very important one. I've seen various methods but for larger operation I can understand the need for the pressure washer given the need to also clean the working station and surrounding area as well. But if we were to develop a cleaning process on a farm that is stationed within the lagoon (like that of Komaka), is there a flow out drainage and filtering area that captures the debris on the shells? I've heard recommendations from others that we should dispose of them on land as fertilizers? Anyways, how harmful are these to the marine environment and farm itself?

Hi all,

Is there any evidence that kind of washing/maintainance is good or bad for the environment? I always thought of pearls as ecofriendly sustainable gems. This will change my perception about it. About the pearls on a diet, having families that have been through operations, and always thinking of animals as just non speaking humans, putting some one through a hearty meal before an operation is a cruelty. Increased risks at the cost of a happy gut is 'sweet poison'. Thus unless conditioning the patient has no effect, it is bitter medicine, better than sweet poison.

Lastly, wow, antibiotics dipped nucleous. The colour is very yellow, does it not affect the oyster? Or the pearl?

The Japanese believe firmly that oysters need to be weakened prior to seeding.

As for the cleaning over the water, that is exactly what my father and I worked to get banned in our atoll… it is most definitely a bad idea in a closed environment like an atoll, but it's not inconceivable that an open ocean farming zone would have the capacity to absorb the impact.

… is there a flow out drainage and filtering area that captures the debris on the shells? I've heard recommendations from others that we should dispose of them on land as fertilizers? Anyways, how harmful are these to the marine environment and farm itself?

Is there any evidence that kind of washing/maintenance is good or bad for the environment? I always thought of pearls as ecofriendly sustainable gems. This will change my perception about it...

This is quite interesting, the washing process part does indeed bring valid concern, as asked in thread #23 of this link.

Some (not all) of the matter in suspension may actually be correlated to the washing process. I have been made aware of some techniques that collect most of the dirt even in open sea environment, the reason being that the farmer is environmentally oriented and knows that in the end whatever ill-conceived scheme will result in terms of low production. This said whatever fallen “debris” would eventually be decomposed and used by the ecosystem, or at least thus would it be in a normal ecosystem.
The volume of debris may now be a concern as observed in salmon / trout production in the 90’s when the abusive feeding of high density cages induced higher level of nitrate contamination, mostly because the bottom feeders couldn’t cope with the volume of food and feces. Such is repeated with some tilapia production resulting in hyper-eutrophic lakes.
But pearl farming would be at lost if following such overly commercial oriented method. I believe that most of the pearl farmer should be (are) environmentalist at heart, and big companies (that have been operating for decades) are a proof that pearls are indeed ecofriendly and sustainable gems.

As for the conditioning (weakening if you may) also called Yokusei, it is not a form of torture but used only for the shell whose condition index is high (high level of glycogen) and the duration may be adjusted as to bring the shell to a normal state prior to operation, so as to confirm one of the thread, If your ponderal index is too high prior to an operation the doctor may order you to go on a Controlled Diet rather than letting you feed as you would normally do… And incidentally this would save your life.

Note: the picture link to photobucket appears to be private... Would have been interested to see the pictures posted there.

All above is my humble opinion, I hope some feedback would constructively confirm this as to enforce the environmental image of the pearl industry.

Some (not all) of the matter in suspension may actually be correlated to the washing process. I have been made aware of some techniques that collect most of the dirt even in open sea environment, the reason being that the farmer is environmentally oriented and knows that in the end whatever ill-conceived scheme will result in terms of low production. This said whatever fallen ?debris? would eventually be decomposed and used by the ecosystem, or at least thus would it be in a normal ecosystem.

There is no dirt, really. The strings don't normally contact the bottom. The debris consists mainly of algae, shells and the fleshy remains of organisms. Many of which reproduce by asexual separation. Unless you filter below 100 microns and apply chemicals or thermal control, it's all but impossible to stop the proliferation of these species. Violet Tunicates and Pisasters are particularily troublesome here in Canada since the onset of the suspended growing method of oysters. Farmers are no longer allowed to power wash on site and shells relayed to other areas cannot be stored in the water, nor can their offal be discharged without treatment.

My point being, these are handling methods. Handling inventory costs time and money. When allowed to farm with wreckless abandon, sure, power washing is a cheap and easy fix, but farming in regulated areas, requires innovation by statute, not choice. My lines are 1/3 the length of oyster strings or intertidal, afterall... sunlight is the best disinfectant. Likewise, it's better to provide an environment for the critters instead of eradicating or relocating them.

I've never been keen on the use of some terms, eco-friendly or green because in many cases they are just buzzwords intended to overlook something not so genuine. I prefer terms like "mitigation" and "areas suitable or not suitable" because of "environmental sensitivities"

The volume of debris may now be a concern as observed in salmon / trout production in the 90?s when the abusive feeding of high density cages induced higher level of nitrate contamination, mostly because the bottom feeders couldn?t cope with the volume of food and feces.

It continues to be a problem here, to this day. Fish farmers don't view the environment throught the same eyes as shellfish growers. While we both have similar concerns with weather, that's where the relationship ends. Sediment density has been addressed for the mostpart, because fish are fed much more systematically by measured volumes over time depending on the metabolism of the age group by underwater cameras. Incidentally, they take these measures not necessarily because it reduces pollution, but because it minimizes the cost of feed.
With the exception of sea lice, farmed fish are implicated in infecting wild fish near their home streams, when really the opposite is true. Wild fish carry a whole host of pathogens and virii from birth, but whether they become affected is another issue. Again, overcrowding, poor husbandry, plankton blooms and predators cause stresses upon which diseases can thrive. Pollution and nutrient loading in the water column from fish farms can be measured in terms of thousands of tonnes annually, whereas even the largest pearl farms can't even begin to hold a candle to those numbers.

Interestingly enough, there are no known diseases in most shellfish. They have parasites, predators and can be contaminated by sewage, pollution or red tides but cases of mass mortality from systemic or metabolic causes are extremely rare.

Pearl farmers don't feed their growout inventory, but shell stocks still generate feces or pseudo-feces. It's not a problem if you provide adequate space, but crowding can cause issues, not necessarily to the inventory itself, but to the local environment.

Big changes happen in the ocean all the time. El Nino, Red tides, storms, stray currents, hot summers and cold winters all have huge impacts on the marine environment, especially in the temperate zones. Salinity data is all over the charts, reaching high and low extremes often for no apparent reason. Even major disasters like oil spills can be rectified over time by natural processes whether by dynamic action or petroleum ingesting bacteria. Freshwater resources are not so resilient, as we'll discuss in a moment.

As for the conditioning (weakening if you may) also called Yokusei, it is not a form of torture but used only for the shell whose condition index is high (high level of glycogen) and the duration may be adjusted as to bring the shell to a normal state prior to operation.

Weakening for grafting is a long debated topic. Some do it, some don't. Most farmers perform some kind of pre-treatment, but to what degree is a social or ethical issue, not necessariy environmental. My understanding of it is to induce the animal to spawn. Personally. I don't feel the need to run the risk of starving my inventory for any reason. Fine mesh gets fouled quickly and you can lose inventory if bad weather sets in and you are unable to reach them in a timely manner. Mussels have gonads unlike conventional pearl oysters and spawn pretty much all year round, so conditioning them to spawn is just another expense in handling that I don't need. During peak spawns, I'll either wait a few weeks or merely sink the inventory into the deeper, cold water for a few hours and they instinctively spawn immediately.

Let's get back to the question posted by you on the other thread:

I would be interested to see if any conclusion has been drawn on the environmental effect of the pearl farm, such as matter in suspension, nitrate level, bicarbonate level, dissolved oxygen and carbon dioxide (that are eventually affected by the seawater temperature).

The freshwater industry in Japan is all but done in most areas. Global warming and pollution have affected it perhaps moreso than farming affected the environment itself, but stands as an example of what can happen. China ought to stand up and take notice, but taking the long view on environmental issues is not their strong point.

Nowadays, I don't think there are enough farms on the globe to even begin to put a dent into the already widely fluctuating elemental composition of our oceans. I don't doubt there might be local issues (not necessarily environmental), but by and large... pearl farmers are symbiotic with their molluscs and generally uphold the ecology that surrounds them.

One significant impact does come to mind though. For and years, shucked shells have been heaped in enormous middens on the shore, wasteful. If anything, they should probably go back into the ocean immediately after harvest. Their decomposition in a small way, acts as buffering base to regionalized acidification.

Last edited:
Please forgive my ignorance, Aurore is similar to Autore, so I'm wondering are you referring to Pinella Autore or is it Aurore? and then Autore would be a jewelry line?

Please forgive my ignorance, Aurore is similar to Autore, so I'm wondering are you referring to Pinella Autore or is it Aurore? and then Autore would be a jewelry line?

Her name is Aurore. She is in pearl farming in Bali. Working for Atlas the last I knew. Autore is a different pearling group. These are two seperate companies.

Last edited:
Back