Are these south sea pearls? thank you

mel_pearls

Hello, I just discovered this forum and right away signed up. I bought online these pair of earrings, ring and pendant set in 14k gold. The seller said they are SS pearls from Palawan, and are 13mm in size. Appreciate if you experts ca nshed light on what I actually bought - SS pearls, colour (I'm hoping they are not dyed/enhanced), and size. They actually don't look as white in person, a little pinkish (3rd photo) than the photos. Thank you so much and I have a lot to learn about pearls so I'm really glad I cam across this site.

Are these south sea pearls? Are these south sea pearls? Are these south sea pearls?

Last edited:
Yes, they are South Sea pearls. They are not probably not from Palawan. Golden South Sea pearls grow on Palawan, so they are more likely from Indonesia or Australia.

There is nothing about the color that would give me a reason to think they've been dyed. They have some surface issues, but overall look like a nice set of South Sea.

How about these? Are they south sea pearls and can you estimate possible value? Purchased in a shop in San Francisco while on vacation. I’m new to pearl knotting and had no idea there were so many kinds of pearls. I bought because they were beautiful!🤣 34 inches 10mm no clasp.

Attachments

• IMG_5129.jpeg
    IMG_5129.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5132.jpeg
    IMG_5132.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5133.jpeg
    IMG_5133.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5135.jpeg
    IMG_5135.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
They look like dyed freshwater pearls to me. But it looks like a nice comfortable necklace -- 10mm, 34".
Thank you for the information. I am learning that there are a lot of dishonest people in this world. Or possibly some like me who just did not know and believed the person who sold them. I have learned from this forum that freshwater are less valuable and dyed pearls even less. With that being said what would the value be for a dyed freshwater necklace like this? Just curious and want to learn and know values for next time. I still love the strand and did not give a giant fee so little harm done and lesson learned. 👍

You paid retail and it's a finished necklace (albeit without a clasp) so you would expect to pay more than for unknotted, unfinished strands.

It's been years since I attended gem shows where hanks of loose FWP were sold. However, on Etsy I see 10-11mm gray FWP unstrung hanks for about $22 for enough pearls to make a single 18" necklace. Double that, add shipping, and it's around $50 for enough unstrung pearls to make a 34" strand. Add labor (knotting) and the retail environment and you may have been charged 2-3x that amount. If you paid up to $150 you did okay.

But look, you find them beautiful-- so try not to focus on whatever you paid for them, and just wear them and enjoy them!

And if it a goal for you to buy south sea pearls, learn all you can about them, and save up! SSP are costly but circled shapes are more affordable than rounds, and can be beautiful, too!

You paid retail and it's a finished necklace (albeit without a clasp) so you would expect to pay more than for unknotted, unfinished strands.

It's been years since I attended gem shows where hanks of loose FWP were sold. However, on Etsy I see 10-11mm gray FWP unstrung hanks for about $22 for enough pearls to make a single 18" necklace. Double that, add shipping, and it's around $50 for enough unstrung pearls to make a 34" strand. Add labor (knotting) and the retail environment and you may have been charged 2-3x that amount. If you paid up to $150 you did okay.

But look, you find them beautiful-- so try not to focus on whatever you paid for them, and just wear them and enjoy them!

And if it a goal for you to buy south sea pearls, learn all you can about them, and save up! SSP are costly but circled shapes are more affordable than rounds, and can be beautiful, too!
Thank you very much for the information and also the explanation of value. I was hoodwinked asking price was $600.00. I haggled down to $250.00. I purchased several other items. Scarfs, jewelry boxes, hair and scarf clips and misc items. Got a really great deal on those so all in all I still did ok. And I do love the pearls. I would be interested to know about who you can buy pearl strands like these for fair prices from. I have had mixed results. Several times what you see in pictures are not the quality you actually receive. I have even paid up to $60.00 per strand and not gotten as good of a strand of pearls as a $10-20 dollar purchase. In a good note I am learning a lot from you experts! Thank you, thank you and thank you again for your time! Any input from others about where you purchase your pearl making supplies will be greatly appreciated. I highly recommend Ms. Pattye for your extra fine needles and thread supplies. She has been awesome to do business with!

I am no longer buying loose strands-- nor finished strands, actually. After a few decades of collecting I think I have enough pearls and other jewelry, and at this point and am using my hobby budget for art supplies.
And the last necklace I restrung was my vintage ivory beads! :)

But I know many folks have liked the pearls they bought from Chinese Etsy sellers WenPearls and KongsPearl. You are most likely to be happy if you buy the highest grade pearls they sell. Returns to China are a pain so be sure you want what you buy!

I have bought in the past from USA based eBay sellers Carolyn and Nick Ehret (druzydesign on eBay; druzydesign1 on Etsy). Be aware that while they allow returns, too many returns may get you blocked from future purchases.

Many pearl sellers use a light box or other studio lighting to bring out the overtone colors of their pearls to show them to best advantage. Tahitians in particular, and also freshwaters with overtone colors, will look different in ordinary light/sunlight than they do in optimal diffuse light conditions (studio lighting, shade, diffuse indoor light.) So learn about overtone colors and take photos with a grain of salt.

Thank you very much for the information and also the explanation of value. I was hoodwinked asking price was $600.00. I haggled down to $250.00.
If you paid $250 they could never be South Sea pearls, not at $600 either. It's easy to get fooled (more than me ended up on this site for that reason :)) so it's always worth it to stop and leave. Then go back to the hotel and do even a little research such as checking out prices and colors. Even better is to not buy at all at such a time but decide that you like pearls and start to learn about them and save up for the real purchases :) But it sounds like you didn't do too badly for your first impulsive purchase. Welcome to the world of pearls - and buying pearls!

Back