Are these real?

mrs.vales0315

1000002308.jpg
1000002310.jpg

I think they are imitations.
• The surface has some small blemishes and other characteristics that look like imitations I've seen.
• I see what looks like excess coating near some drill holes.
• The size, color and luster are too uniform.
• The smaller pearls next to the clasp is something I've seen with many imitations.
• The way the pearls connect with the clasp is low end. (Lack of French wire to protect the thread; split rings.)

Do these simple tests:
1. Rub 2 of the pearls together gently. Imitation pearls will glide smoothly; real nacre feels a bit gritty.
2. Real pearls are cooler than imitation pearls. If you have any pearls that you know to be real (or that you know to be fake), put these and the other pearls in the same temperature environment for about 30 minutes, and then hold them against your lip (which is very sensitive to temperature) and compare.

I also get Imitation pearl vibes...they all look the same, they lack imperfections and that shallow optical depth...
use a UV lamp!

What does the clasp stamp 4585 mean?
Maybe it's a number related to the manufacturer?
The "4" looks like an "A" to me.
But this is just a simple guess. The metal must not be gold.

That's exactly what it is. It was a widely-used clasp by Honora and Fortunoff, among others.
Here's an example from an amethyst piece found online. I'm basically low tech, but I sometimes hit vintage stores for fun, and discovered something most of you probably know already: If you have an android phone, go to the google search bar and use the little camera icon (not your phone's camera icon) to take a picture and search. I've also used that with the translate function to decode the artists' signatures on some artwork I inherited and to read food labels at Hmart 😂
Screenshot_2-9-2024_144145_www.rubylane.com.jpeg

Back