Are these Kasumi pearls?

SpaceNeedle

Found this strand on eBay... LINK

The pearls look pretty but they don't look like any kasumis that I have seen (which are a few BTW).

96f8_1.JPG

Hi Spaceneedle, not Kasumis, but the effect lovingly known as "pondslime" - they look pretty nice...pretty expensive though.

Last edited:
BTW, if not Kasumi, you could try a partial refund from the seller...
and let us know..

I think freshwater too - nice pearls but not up to that price (I have bigger though not quite so lustrous as these appear) The nacre effect I call cold custard skin.
Mind Sarah is the expert on Kasumis
(If these are not then this is a breach of the UK Trades Description Act. This might be a compare the photos error by a seller of a fair bit of antique jewellery - and all pearls are a bit pricey)
Sarahhhhhhhhhhh? Where are you

Hi Susan, and BTW welcome to the forum!
Pondslime is just the name given to the phenomenon of the colour of the pearl not being so evenly distributed - it looks almost like an algae stain. As far as I know it occurs randomly. Apparently, these marks are very stable.. not easily bleached. As most Chinese growers would rather be selling beautiful evenly coloured pearls, they are usually fairly inexpensive, despite the fact that some pearl lovers actively seek these type of pearls.

Here is another strand that Sarah has on her site at the moment - much more realistically priced!!

Looking at Sarah's (thanks Nerida) I did not realise that I've got some of these pondslimes too - some bigger (although not quite so perfectly round)

I had some before Christmas - all sold easily - they really are quite interesting looking pearls. Still have some now, but they are more baroque, and not such an appealing shape as the ones in this post, or Sarah's. The ones on the Kojima site look great.

I don't think these pearls in the photo, nor the similar-looking strand on Sarah's site are bead nucleated.
The Chinese "kasumi" pearls look different to this, to my eye... I'm joining Wendy..Sarah, where are you???

I guess part of what I am saying is that these pearls don't even look (to me) like the so called "Chinese kasumis". Then the difference (between Chinese, and the real deal) would be much harder to discern.

Given that the ebay seller with this strand has great feedback, and some very nice looking pieces, I think the seller is more likely to be simply mistaken, not consciously scamming.

Thank you all very much. Never heard of pondslime pearls before and I have been reading this forum for more than a year :(.

The word 'pondslime' just does not sound like a nice name for pearls. What do I know... English is my second language :).

The strand on Sarah's site is beautiful indeed. Thank you for sharing :).

In Chinese it is called Copper Rust Stain.

If you do a search here for that phrase I think it was discussed here about a year ago.

Yes, I don't think I would ever use the term "pondslime" in a marketing sense...

Hello, I am here in Oakland, enjoying the quiet afternoon.. taking a break from drilling and stringing blue baroque tahitian pearls....mmmm!
There is no question that the pearls pictured at the beginning of this thread are not Japan Kasumi pearls (they are Chinese fresh water pearls). Then there is the question about "pondslime" pearls. This is a term that Fuji Voll coined some years back (it is obviously not a market wide vocabulary term). At first I fought him tooth and nail about using this description, but I must say that now it has kind of caught on, and our customers for the most part have gotten past the initial shock, and now ask for them by name. (Personally, I find it a little refreshing when a product is described honestly, as opposed to glossed up to seem better than another)... So what we mean when we describe a pearl as being "pondslime" is when there is a mix of natural fresh water colors and often with a sort of golden green veneer coating the surface to add to it's luster or depth of color. It is an effect that is completely natural, no pearl processor would waste their time to dye a pearl these colors.
Here are four photos of some of the pearls I have here. I hope this helps.

The first photo: JAPAN KASUMI PEARLS (always bead nucleated) (fresh water pearls from Lake Kasumi-ga-ura). You can see that the two loose drops on the right have a sort of "pondslime" effect.

The second photo: BEAD NUCLEATED CHINESE FRESH WATER PEARLS

The third photo: BEAD NUCLEATED CHINESE FRESH WATER PEARLS, the texture of these pearls, is often compared to the texture of Japan Kasumi pearls, and thus it is common to find other dealers selling them as either "kasumi" or "chinese kasumi" pearls. I have even had other dealers try to sell them to me as that (and these are people who we have exhibited next to us for years, who have come and looked on in amazement as customers clammered for our *baroque japan fresh water pearls*).

The fourth photo: TISSUE NUCLEATED CHINESE FRESH WATER PEARLS, these are a great example of "pondslime". We realize neither the name nor the look of them is for everyone, but if they were, we wouldn't like them anyway! (he he).

So in the end a name is just a name.
Buy only what you love, that way you can be happy with it no matter what people call it.
Sorry to be late to chime in here, I got scared off by the "ethical consumer" thread. Too much to say to that, so I have been drilling and stringing the pearls that I love!
Enjoy and I hope this helps!
Cheers Sarah

Attachments

• PG #1.jpg
    PG #1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 76
  • PG #2.jpg
    PG #2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 76
  • PG #3.jpg
    PG #3.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 73