Antique photo of Mrs. George Gould

I wish I could find a better one so we could really see the details, but the description in the NY times article in an earlier post on this thread really helps imagine it. She actually performed in a play in it, so she must have been able to stand up. As to breathing, I kind of suspect that the corsets were laced up extra tight for portrait shots, but again, this is a woman who married very well partly because of her looks (although she had to be smart to get so many pearls), and died playing golf in a full body rubber suit. With a corset on as well, Iʻm sure! Her husband had 2 or 3 children with a mistress, and after Edithʻs death, married the mistress, although he was to follow a couple of years later. Thanks Mist for getting us all started on this. Look at everything your query generated!! I have to go figure out what to do with my Mrs. Gʻs pearls now!

Woo hoo! Haven't kept up to date with the threads over the past week or so, and I've missed some great stuff here.
Sueki - wow, wow, wow.... love the Tahitian keshi rope, but the FW & SS one is just stunning!! Beautiful!
Waimeamomi (Mrs G) your Mrs G pearls are gorgeous too, and the info and photos of the real Mrs G most entertaining! I knew there was something missing from my life.... I want that dress! Who needs to breathe?
pattye - I'm with Sueki - get your finger out and use those pearls!!

Hi Nerida,
Thanks for your comments.
I finished the keishi strand yesterday, and hope to finish the f.w. today, so will post pics. of them both soon.

love the pictures! Can't believe the waistline!! didn't they eat in those days? she died in a full rubber body suit? that sounds really strange. i love all your pearls, those black fw with the white SS are lovely!

Back