antique natrual strand listed

aerinha

I have bought one antique diamond piece from this website and was fairly happy with it, so I tend to window shop there often. They start out overpriced, IMO, but do discount the longer a piece goes unsold. I noticed they've had this natural strand with a very pretty claps for sale for several months, no discount yet. I'm no expert, but I think it's kind of high http://www.faycullen.com/antique_necklaces/600/el110c4p.html

Makes me wish I had had the money to get that $650 natural strand that started me posting here. Oh, well.

Interesting. I was just discussing this piece with someone yesterday, I believe.

Tell me, just out of curiosity, what is the purpose behind shooting a piece like this? I see this "pose" so often and I wonder, what are they hiding under there? Does anyone really think this shot presents the product well? What am I missing? What is a shot like this supposed to be showing me?

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 70
If it were the only picture, it might not be the best way to show pearls - as a heap! To me, it shows color matching, the clasp... and then, what's not to like about a handful of pearls :) Can't find the conspiracy theory side here.

Given the small format of pictures at Fay's, the one showing the entire strand doesn't do a good job showing the pearls up close. Maybe the seller thought this would compensate. :rolleyes:

Who knows...

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing it does do is make the mm size of the pearls seem huge. If I just looked at that picture and not the description that says the largest is, if I remember correctly, 6mm I would think that was a 7-8mm center pearl and that the smallest were bigger than a metaphorical pin head.

well I think they are trying to give you a close look at some of the pearls and also the clasp. If you look at the main picture in the link you can't see anything at all. They could be plastic beads for all we know if that was the only pic to go by.

Ok, thanks all! I guess there is a purpose. To me, heap = junk. Plus, I have no artistic eye. I flunked finger painting in kindergarten.

knotty panda said:
To me, heap = junk.

Hm....

How about a scoop:

scoopnc3.jpg

Or a pile:

pilevt1.jpg

Dunno... It feels reassuring that these precious things stand out without a jeweler's careful handling, smile and dark velvet cases. Sometimes without humans noticing too...

Last edited by a moderator:
Much better!

knotty panda said:
To me, heap = junk. I flunked finger painting in kindergarten.
Knotty, you're hilarious.. don't you think that's a wonderful way to represent these beautiful natural pearls?? It really does make you wonder though doesn't it? haha :eek:

Back