365 Days of Pearls

Those earrings from Hisano are my very favourites ! I love the teeny pearls inside the pearl. Gorgeous !

As for the etiquette book ... as far as I'm concerned there is no right or wrong when it comes to jewellery. Wear what you want when you want and do it with confidence. If you love it... that's all that matters.

I agree with the restyling , like JP I rework things for people all the time. Often it's ropes... seems like it's the heavier ropes that are often the culprit. But with that many pearls its easy to rework into one or two necklaces..a tin cup and a knotted.. or a necklace and bracelet. Anything that you don't wear.. no matter what it is.. just try a different design. You can always go back to the original.

RE: Jewelry etiquette

I recently watched a documentary on Iris Apfel, the 90 year old style icon. She's the lady with the big, round, black glasses. At the beginning of the documentary I thought she'd completely overdone it with her layers of jewelry. By the end of the documentary I was a total fan of her style.

I'm soo glad this thread still continues. I love coming back here although I don't always leave a comment or two.

BN, those screamers make me gasp every time I see them! And they're perfectly styled with your beautiful little h earrings. As for etiquette, I think you've proven there is no right or wrong way to wear pearl jewelery. You are equally beautiful wearing pearls with organic shapes as well as perfectly round tradititonal pearls styled with casual wear or more formal attire. It's your indiviudal style and nothing else matters.

I also agree with BW, as much as I'd love to own a triple, if the spacing between the strands is off or if pearls don't nest perfectly, my OCD would kick in and I'd never want to wear that strand. With a double I'd never have that concern.

JP, love the concept of re-purposing older pieces. I've been doing that too. It's so much fun to give them new life!

Looking forward to seeing all the sister pearls next month!

RE: Jewelry etiquette

I recently watched a documentary on Iris Apfel, the 90 year old style icon. She's the lady with the big, round, black glasses. At the beginning of the documentary I thought she'd completely overdone it with her layers of jewelry. By the end of the documentary I was a total fan of her style.

Iris Apfel definitely breaks any and all rules and makes it work for her. And that should be the definition of elegance, beauty, style or whatever. Make it work for you.

LOL Sarah is making me one too ;) I sent her the white metallic strand I got from a ruckus many years ago. Haven't worn it but maybe 3 times so now that it's going to be beautified I'm sure it will get worn more regularly. We should take a picture with us all in our sister pearls.

I was going to ask Sarah, too, lol! But I think I would like to do the waterfall style with pearls that aren't white. I have too many white pearls in my collection and I find that I am not wearing them as much as my other pearls these days. Can't wait to see that picture of all of you wearing your sister pearls!

I was going to ask Sarah, too, lol! But I think I would like to do the waterfall style with pearls that aren't white. I have too many white pearls in my collection and I find that I am not wearing them as much as my other pearls these days. Can't wait to see that picture of all of you wearing your sister pearls!

BWeaves strand she calls "everything and a bagel" is a perfect example of Sarah's use of multiple types of pearls in a waterfall type design. Sarah probably could do it in Tahitians if you want she's that creative.

I always enjoy seeing your Pearl collection. The dangles from little h are spectacular, so unusual, so designer! As for your double strand of metallics, what's not to love, a classic forever!

BWeaves strand she calls "everything and a bagel" is a perfect example of Sarah's use of multiple types of pearls in a waterfall type design. Sarah probably could do it in Tahitians if you want she's that creative.

Thanks newberry

Thank you, Simply adorned, 86Corvettegirl, pammbw, Parrot Lady, amti, CathyKeshi, Kay , Katbran, BWeaves, Luvglitz, Charlotta, Bonsava, SunSeeker and BAS!

Day 350:

This red, white and blue post was meant for yesterday. I hope all the US folks had a happy 4th!

Double strand of freshwater metallics (Sheri’s screamers) and little h dangles (soufflé pearls lined w tiny seed pearls).

View attachment 60784

View attachment 60785

View attachment 60786

View attachment 60787

View attachment 60788

View attachment 60789

View attachment 60790

Ah the Screamers!!! They are looking as beautiful as the day Sheri selected them! I love the pairing with pearl-pearl geodes!

I actually thought my Everything Bagel was a Waterfall necklace when I first grabbed it off Sarah's neck and yelled, "Dibs!" at the last Ruckus. I really want an all white version, like the Waterfall necklace, but I would grab a Tahitian version, too. I really love the mix of large and small roundish pearls in a long rope. Sarah has a couple of multicolored Waterfall-ish ropes on the Kojima website right now. I hesitate to mention them because I was hoping I could see them in person at Ruckus.

Last edited:

OOOOOOO, baby bear!!!!!!!!! I love those screamers now, but those earrings are to die for.

I have a minor habit of seeking out and reading the 'self-help books of elegance' - curious to see how people try to define in solid terms a rather abstract, to my way of thinking, concept. One of them made a point of saying that triple strands are okay in certain cases, but that double strands are simply not elegant.

The author had clearly never seen a necklace at all like that one. I feel sorry for her now.

I guess it depends on the individual: first, wear what you enjoy most and second, try to be mindful of what actually suits you. On myself, I prefer doubles. I really like a triple with smaller sized pearls. And I too can’t stand when the strands of a triple don’t nest!

And hereby I award you with your master's degree in layering! - JK ;)
But seriously, reading through this whole thread over the last few day & seeing you gradually gain more confidence in layering your necklaces this last one feels like your master's thesis & I have learned so much thanks to your hard work, thank you!

A few other observations...
... my favorite type of pearl on you is tahitian because it makes your skintone sing
... i admire how effortlessly you switch between very classic and the more organic, wild styles
... had to scroll over the NY jewelry show bit very fast because everything was just too yummy
... never knew chickens could be this much fun! i have lost a few too many pets recently due to old age and illness but I think someday in the faraway future there could be a flock of these amazing animals waiting for me
... i need to get myself a necklace with tiny iolite beads asap
... loved all the little anecdotes&tidbits... and i really enjoyed reading everyones experience getting their ears pierced for the first time, made me feel better about the labyrinth in my ear... and now I know I can get them redone-DUH!
... and speaking about ear piercings: around page 100 I was thinking to myself how wonderful a small earstud in the second earhole - like a small bead coordinated with your top - would look so I was delighted when ~ fifty pages later you announced that you wear planning to use that earhole again after more than a decade! what are your plans for the future? pearls?

And while we are speculating around how continuations of this thread could look, how about "52 weeks - 52 parures" (wearing a coordinated set for a whole week, styling it different each day). Whatever you decide for the future, I hope you will continue updating us on your adventures!

I’m flattered that you looked through the whole thread, Ama! I kind of wish I’d put in more commentary but I’m not very good with words and the goal has been pictures.

I like your ideas for a thread! I think I will continue beyond 365 days because it’s been so much fun, though I’m not sure I can commit to another year, lol.

LOL Sarah is making me one too ;) I sent her the white metallic strand I got from a ruckus many years ago. Haven't worn it but maybe 3 times so now that it's going to be beautified I'm sure it will get worn more regularly. We should take a picture with us all in our sister pearls.

Done! A group pic with our sister pearls:cool:

I actually thought my Everything Bagel was a Waterfall necklace when I first grabbed it off Sarah's neck and yelled, "Dibs!" at the last Ruckus. I really want an all white version, like the Waterfall necklace, but I would grab a Tahitian version, too. I really love the mix of large and small roundish pearls in a long rope. Sarah has a couple of multicolored Waterfall-ish ropes on the Kojima website right now. I hesitate to mention them because I was hoping I could see them in person at Ruckus.

Please bring your Everything Bagel? I want to see it/try it on!

Back