19k US for a single pearl?

DK - Wow. There aren't many pictures of it to justify $19K. If I was in the market I would want a portfolio of pics with measurements.

Did you look at the rest of the Seller's offerings? I am by no means an expert, but they all look a little too pricey.

I find it interesting.

How about this one - 140299809689 - way overpriced and from a seller with no feedback, someone else offering over the asking price.

Is it multistrand or are they mounted onto a chain charm style...

ho ho ho

The asking price of that Tahitian is steep, but it certainly is a rare size. I would not risk it with the seller, however. There are a couple of clear fabrications in the description.

GIA Grade A+/Perles de Tahiti Grade AAA pearl

Neither of those grades exist.

Tahitians are graded A-D aren't they - which can be confusing if you describe a Tahitian as A grade and those used to freshwater are not impressed...

They are not necessarily A-D. That is the system used by Perles de Tahiti and the accepted standard in French Polynesia. But in Hong Kong you will see things like A-AAA, A1-A4, etc.

The problem I have with the description is that it states the quality is A+ according to GIA standards (no such standard exists) and AAA according to Perles de Tahiti (but PDT would be A-D).

It is attempting to look official but is meaningless. So one would really not know what to expect from the seller.

I can get a very nice 2ct+ Emerald Cut diamond for that price, and one can certainly get a bigger white South Sea baroque for less!

Not good value for money in my book! :rolleyes:

DK :)

I saw a gorgeous perfect round peacock Tahitian, unmounted, at Robert Wan's in Papeete for about $35,000. It was smaller than this one, about 17mm. I did not bring it home, but the color (vivid peacock) for that size was quite extraordinary. VERY rare to find large round peacock monsters.

I'm waiting for Josh to produce one...

Sheri

hmm, sounds a bit like sideshow Bob to me. I would hesitate to lay out that amount of cash without having actually seen the pearl first. Some pictures with common objects we can identify (for comparison purposes) would have been better.

Back