AGTA News - "Chinese/Baby Akoya" are Actually Nucleated FWPs!

Thanks for sharing the article, Douglas! A big reason for making pearl purchases through reputable sources, unless it’s not of personal importance. When I was visiting Takahashi Pearl in Kobe this fall, Mr. Seki showed me some baby freshwater he had purchased out of curiosity to compare with their baby Akoya. It’s so difficult to discern anymore… (the top 4 white strands are baby Akoya.
IMG_2494.jpeg

The American Gem Trade Association just came out with a News Report about some nucleated freshwater -known as "Edison"- pearls being passed off as "Baby Akoya Pearls" (gotta love the name!), misrepresenting them as saltwater Akoya pearls.

Since the article's content cannot be shared (not even a bit!) I will just add the link HERE so you may read the entirety of the text.
I thought that Hyriopsis cumingii was a freshwater mussel species, not an oyster…
Very interesting article. Buyer beware!

Last edited:
They've been around for a couple of years or so. It's another Grace thing, along with dyed pretend Tahitians, mostly around 10mm (which look quite good from a distance, well matched strands with even some peacock-ery). (plus of course the dyed gold south seas and the dyed purples

There's been a company floating around on Facebook ads ... they've used at least 4 different company names now, but clearly the same company/group, right down to some of the "happy customer" comments. Genuine "Akoya" pearl strands, certified by GIA, straight from pearl farmers in Japan, grown in Japanese lakes and oceans ... 10mm .. 12mm etc. for $55.00 - $79.00 or so. And if you go to their website(s), video clips and photos; many of you will recognize as the images belong to ... PP, Kamoka, maybe SOC ... and some random Chinese pearl farms using industrial fire hoses. Yah, NO. I've been posting "Buyer Beware" notes in their comments so last week ... they posted inviting me to become a "Super Fan" LOL , the algorithm can't tell a positive comment from a negative comment. Any attention is better than no attention? Sigh.

There's been a company floating around on Facebook ads ... they've used at least 4 different company names now, but clearly the same company/group, right down to some of the "happy customer" comments. Genuine "Akoya" pearl strands, certified by GIA, straight from pearl farmers in Japan, grown in Japanese lakes and oceans ... 10mm .. 12mm etc. for $55.00 - $79.00 or so. And if you go to their website(s), video clips and photos; many of you will recognize as the images belong to ... PP, Kamoka, maybe SOC ... and some random Chinese pearl farms using industrial fire hoses. Yah, NO. I've been posting "Buyer Beware" notes in their comments so last week ... they posted inviting me to become a "Super Fan" LOL , the algorithm can't tell a positive comment from a negative comment. Any attention is better than no attention? Sigh.
I've seen that company too, and under several different names.

In the past year we've had two other companies steal our photos and even product descriptions. One looked like a very legitimate site (and still does since the site is live and advertising today), apart from all the stolen photos. They ignored all our emails. Facebook and Instagram comments, and the telephone numbers don't work. Adding a telephone number is part of the scam. It makes them appear to be more legit, even there is never an intention to actually receive calls.

Which company?

Back