What type of Pearls bracelet is this?

Kameddie

Hi, Can anyone tell me what type of pearl bracelet this is.

I saw it on ebay and really liked it but missed out on buying it. (my daughter who's name is Pearl, decided to hide my internet wireless stick).

Anyway in the description it said that they were Tahitian pearls which I found weird as I thought Tahitian pearls were only black.

I am just learning about all the different pearls so I thought I should ask some experts.

I have attached a photo. I hope it worked

regards

Lindy

Attachments

• Pearl.jpg
    Pearl.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 51
It would be good to look around for a while at lots of Tahitian pearls before purchasing so you get an idea of their varieties. There are some sellers who try to pass off dyed freshwater pearls as Tahitians. After looking at photos for a while, you should be able to figure out which ones are probably real on eBay. Or, buy them from an established seller with a good return policy. I hope you have fun looking. There are a lot of photos under the Tahitian Pearls category on the Forum.

The bracelet in the photo is made up of cultured freshwater pearls from China, with rings. The rings form naturally as the pearls turn inside the mollusk before harvest. Definitely not Tahitian pearls nor South Sea. Those kinds of pearls are very inexpensive and plentiful, but also popular because they look like pearls!

How lovely to have a daughter named Pearl. A great reason to learn about pearls and collect them!

Patty, I've seen some FW pearls with rings that almost look like they were cut in with a lathe or some kind of blade. Not the soft indentations, but rather sharp dips. Is this caused during formation too?

Cecilia

Thanks Pattye

I have been wondering about these Pearls for a few weeks now so I am glad I decided to actually find out about them.

Actually I am really glad I found this forum as the more I read about Pearls the more I seem to realise that I don't know that much about them.

regards

Lindy

Lindy,

Welcome! You've come to the right place. We've all pretty much felt like that at one time, too. This is a good place to hang out!

Cecilia, yes, the ring formation can vary quite a bit from pearl to pearl. Some pearls will have only a single ring, others multiples.

Last edited:
Back