What strand do y'all think this is?

Abi

This was posted as gssp. Do y'allthink its GSSP, or really really really nicely dyed freshwaters? Screenshot_20190308-104319_Etsy.jpgScreenshot_20190308-104309_Etsy.jpg

Any ideas?

Last edited:
icm_fullxfull.193108426_ar7lvgxnd4gsos8cggos.jpgicm_fullxfull.197336345_o1u3gmb560gogkgg0kgw.jpg here are some more pictures...

There are no knots showing in the whole strand. Ask to see the drill holes. I think it's imitation too.

Shell pearl, maybe? It has their very sharp shine with no overtones.

Would imitations have blemishes similar to a regular pearl? I noticed some dents... I'm going to ask for the drill hole then and see if they respond. This is actually the only pearl thing they are selling. They mostly sell handmade jewelry made either of gold filled or 14/18k gold.

Lol yes my dearest Pattye, not a very strong color. My mom has wanted a palest gold south sea pearl and this came upon my suggestions. I prefer darker gold, but she seems to be fond of a more paler kind.

I went ahead and also asked them if they could take a picture of some of the blemishes on the strand.

Screenshot_20190308-160606_Etsy.jpgScreenshot_20190308-160609_Etsy.jpgScreenshot_20190308-160613_Etsy.jpg

Here are more of the pictures, they said this is the best they could take of the hole, and they took some pictures of the blemishes.i never owned imitation pearls so I don't really know their nature.

After looking at these new pictures, I'm starting to feel a little foolish... they're starting to look more imitation to me..

I think they are fake too. The color and shine are too uniform. The blemishes can happen if the glass bead inside has defects.

After looking at these new pictures, I'm starting to feel a little foolish... they're starting to look more imitation to me..

Please don't feel foolish at all, Abi. You were very smart to ask for additional photos of the blemishes and drill holes. As others have mentioned, the holes are too large and the edges not sharply defined as would be in genuine pearls, some drill holes show a slight discoloring around them (the middle photo in this last group).

Everyone: Do you feel the seller should be advised she is selling imitation pearls? Or is it Caveat Emptor?

Back