What is this?

livjux

Screenshot_20181003-092845_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20181003-092903_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20181003-092903_Gallery.jpg hi and good morning from Norway. I hope you can see my photos.I bought this for fun from ebay just to see what it was. Is is sold as "genuine tahitian pearls". I never believed is tahitian, but dyed freshwater. Am I right? I expected to get something more off- round. As you can see the narced has some bumps and lumps and even white spots/holes in it. Are the pearls just dyed on the surface? I'm asking because I want to learn. I'm new to this, but I see I can easily get hooked and addicted to this😅.Screenshot_20181003-092927_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20181003-092927_Gallery.jpg

Yes, to me they look like dyed freshwaters. Many freshwaters are now being cultured with a bead nucleus, hence the roundness.

There are so many FWP being sold on eBay as genuine Tahitians, akoya and South Sea. More often than not, if you buy pearls on eBay-- especially from China-- they will be freshwater pearls.

Here is a paragraph from our Pearl Education section:

"Some Pearls Are Artificially Colored
It is important to note that many pearls are artificially colored. This is widely practiced with freshwater, akoya, and at times Tahitian pearls. The colors are artificially infused by a treatment known as dyeing, or by subjecting the pearls to irradiation. These treated colors are typically easy to spot by a trained observer who may peer down the drill hole looking for concentrations of color, which indicates the presence of dye, or a darkened pearl nucleus, which indicates radiation treatment."
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/content.php?82-Pearl-Color

And you can read more in the section on Pearl Treatments:
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/content.php?92-Pearl-Treatments

Thank you so much for your answer. I find this really interesting. I also have some fleemarked pearls. Would yet mind looking at them too? I did not pay much for them, and I bought them because of the clasp.

That is an interesting clasp for sure! I'm thinking it may not be original to the necklace. Are there any metal marks on it? 925 or otherwise?

Now as to the pearls. Are there 2 strands there? The baroque small lustrous ones look to me like baroque akoya pearls. The large, duller ones attached to the clasp seem to be freshwater pearls.

It is one graduated but not totally Evenstrand.I was also thinking it was two types of pearls. The clasp is marked 585 and it is also a small stamp( maybe a masters mark). It is difficult to see. The small pearl on the clasp is a real pearl. It's fun and intriguing��

I'm getting a different picture now. The larger round pearls seem to also be akoyas, but not the same strand as the baroque akoyas. The overtones, luster and shapes are not the same.

It looks like the previous owner arranged the large pearls next to the clasp so that the very decorative clasp could be worn in front which I can totally understand, given how pretty it is. As for the metal, 585 is 14K gold. I thought it was silver, with patina in recessed areas, but now I see from the back view that those are cut out areas, not areas with patina.

Thank you for your answers Pearl Dreams. I really appreciate it��

Back