What is the best place to buy Tahitian pearls in Tahiti?

A

aperock

My fiance and I ame going to Tahiti on our honeymoon. We want to buy some Tahitian pearls as a souvenier. I know they may be a little overpriced becaue of the tourism... but we really want to get the pearls on our trip (even if it is at the airport). Where is the best place to purchase Tahitian pearls? I am not sure quite what to expect. Will I have to be careful of counterfits? Are prices fair, or overpriced. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

You are correct in that Tahitian pearls are very overpriced in Tahiti. Price for value I would say do not purchase in Tahiti. But, there is an intrinsic value to items purchased there when visiting - especially on your honeymoon. Do shop around. Do negotiate - they all have a large margin. Do NOT buy them off the street unless you are simply buying a souvenier piece like a baroque on leather.
If you are taking a cruise stay away from the shops that advertise all over the ship. Also, if you take a 'pearl farm tour', do not think you will get the best prices purchasing from the farm - it is likely a tourist trap.

Back