Ways to fake better luster on pearls?

Caitlin

Somewhere on this site, I think it was mentioned that everyone "polishes" pearls. What is the best way to do this? Do people artificially enhance luster? If so, how, and is it possible to tell?

Caitlin

Hi Caitlin,
Pearls are usually always polished. This does enhance the shine and luster of the pearls. This is a very common practice, as is bleaching and pinking.

Another method of enhancing the luster of pearls is through heat treatment. This is done quite often to very low-luster pearls. These are the pearls with the thin nacre but high luster.

I actually have several pictures of these processes at a factory in China. I will see if I can size them and put them in this thread.

Polishing machine

Polishing machine

This is a photograph I took of a classic Chinese polishing machine. Please keep in mind that only small factories use such a rudimentary machine.

Attachments

• pearlpolish.JPG
    pearlpolish.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 89
Cleaning the pearls

Cleaning the pearls

This is from the same factory. This machine is used to clean the pearls fresh after harvest.

Attachments

• pearlclean.JPG
    pearlclean.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 78
Finally, this is the machine used to treat the pearls with heat. Although this increases the luster of the pearls, this may damage the nacre. Heat treatment is not a recommended treatment. The luster will eventually fade.

Attachments

• heat_treatment.JPG
    heat_treatment.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 76
Wow! Great pictures! Our jshepherd is as much anthropologist as pearl master!

If you haven't read his bio @ PP.com, here's a link http://www.pearlparadise.com/aboutourfounder.html

I am guessing that the pictures are of Akoya pearls.

Are FW pearls treated with heat (or anything else) to increase luster?

What kind of bleach is used on pearls?

Hi Caitlin,

Just noticed I had not responded to your question from January! I am sorry about that!
The pictures from that factory were all Akoya pearls.
Freshwater pearls are treated with bleach after they have been drilled (typically). This is the reason one rarely sees a lot of undrilled loose pearls. The bleaching can make them a little more brittle to the drill. Bleaching with freshwater pearls is nearly 100% universal. Freshwater pearls are also polished to enhance luster.

The bleach used in the pictures is a very mild type of bleach. The main active ingredient is H2O2, aka Hydrogen Peroxide. There are a lot of other chemicals used such as Na2CO3 (Sodium carbonate). One chemical actually reacts with the lights, which is why the bleaching rooms are filled with lights. The rooms are also temperature controlled, always below 20 C.

The bleaching solution is not universal. Every factory actually mixes chemicals on site. The success or failure of a factory depends heavily on the skills of the chemist mixing the ingredients. If the bleach is too strong the pearls can be damaged (appear very chalky), if the bleach is too weak the desired effect will not be achieved.

Back