Vintage what??

waimeamomi

Natural Pearl
Aloha, My husband bought these for me a couple of years ago. They are from a local estate and the owner was quite wealthy and traveled around a lot. (Who owned them is not in question). Donʻt know anything else except the clasp looks deco to me. They are probably from 5mm to about 8mm (7?). Itʻs Opera lenth (about 21 inches) The color is slightly ivory/yellow, but I think it has lustre. The shapes are not perfect and I tried to show some of the different shapes. There is one pearl that has nacre missing at the hole. I tried to shoot it, but itʻs a little blurry (last photo). The strand needs to be restrung, since the one side of the clasp came off. Looking for info, even though I love it no matter what. I love to wear it with a black top, and Tahitians in my ears. Thanks for looking! :)

Attachments

• vintage2.jpg
    vintage2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 51
  • CU1.jpg
    CU1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 54
  • cu2.jpg
    cu2.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 51
  • cu3.jpg
    cu3.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 53
  • nacre.jpg
    nacre.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 50
My vote goes for older Akoyas----a fun strand, love the graduated style, so classic!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

They were definitely an expensive strand. The safety chain is a dead-give away

Can you get a closeup of the 10th pearl from the left? It is the one with the flat end. I'd like to see the flat end closer

I am also curious about the clasp - it looks to be some nice metal work.

OK, here are pictures of the clasp, and also that flat pearl. Good eye, Caitlin that "flat" pearl is the one pearl that has nacre missing, and you can see what I assume to be the bead that the pearl formed on. I also have a shot where you can really see the different shapes of some of the pearls, and compare the sizes. I also realize that it is a Matinee length and not an opera. Oh well, there is no opera here. Everything looks a little yellow because of bad lighting. I love it no matter what, and figure if itʻs gone this long (at least how long - 40 years?) with only one pearl going bad, (I think) that I will be able to put it on my daughters as well! :)

Attachments

• pearlshapes.jpg
    pearlshapes.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 59
  • flatpearl.jpg
    flatpearl.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 62
  • clasp.jpg
    clasp.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 57
How about learning the art of stringing and doing this necklace by yourself? That would make it even more precious to you and your daughter?s, I think!

Such a large abrasion should tell right away what the pearls are: if fakes, the outside layer is a papery layer of lacquer and the supporting bead that must show in the peeled area is only rarely mother of pearl - glass or plastic is more likely (it doesn't look like this might be the case), if bead nucleated cultured pearls then the outer layer oes not peel away 9could break, crack, erode, but not peel) and the bead inside is mother of pearl, if natural (always unlikely, but what do I know?) an abrasion shows off layers of nacre like onion peels only smaller and tighter (obvious examples on the very abraded surface of the shipwreck pearls posted here earlier LINK, just look at the right side of the big pear shaped one in THIS picture)

Just 2c

I have knotted a strand before, and Iʻve considered doing these, but it always seems like you do your own jewelry stuff last. The nacre layer is definitely not peeling away. Where it has worn is still tight to the pearl. There really isnʻt any other spot like it that I can see. I guess when itʻs restrung that damage one could be examined and not used on the strand. I feel pretty confident that they are at least from the 60ʻs and could be older than that, especially given the clasp design.

Back