"very poor color" strand?

catseye

I have a strand of unusual colored pearls. They were appraised for insurance about 15 years ago as cultured, round 6mm and "creame rose" color. I have had them for almost 20 years. When I bought them (from an estate trunk show at a very reputable local jeweler) I was told that the strand was brought back from Japan during WWII. I have since learned that uniform strands were quite rare before the mid 1950s, so this seems unlikely.
The salesman also said the clasp that was on them was not original. I put on the current one about a year after I got them.
I thought about selling them, but the jewelers I showed it to told me that they were a very poor color and therefore low value despite the quality otherwise. The color doesn't photograph well.
Does anyone know what kind of pearl this is (do akoyas come this color)? Is there any way to tell how old they actually are?

Attachments

• hi-res01c.JPG
    hi-res01c.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 52
  • hi-res10c.JPG
    hi-res10c.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 54
  • hi-res02.JPG
    hi-res02.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 64
  • PICT1676.JPG
    PICT1676.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 57
  • PICT1674.JPG
    PICT1674.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 58
The photos are good, but in order to appreciate color (and that is the subject of your message) we need you to please take some more photos using indirect unfiltered natural sunlight.

Your pearls look very Akoya...cream, with a bit of pink. And I could detect that the pearls are not perfectly uniform, so it could be a strand purchased by a stationed US soldier.

I would find someone that would be able to discern nacre thickness by means of the drill-hole. If the pearl has a thickness of nacre around 0.5 mm it could very well be an old Akoya strand.

The lack of real graduation almost certainly excludes the possibility that the pearls are from the 1950's.
Regarding the color, was the color the same when you acquired them 20 years ago? The cream coloration is more common in older strands, and is typically a sign of age. There are some newer strands with similar colors as well, often referred to as ivory rose.

The quality actually looks quite good. I would estimate the nacre is very thick relative to today's average. But the pearls are small, and they are clearly not new. So the comments of your jewelers are correct as well - there would not be a tremendous amount of value in the strand.

Yes, they are exactly the same color. I have been careful to keep them away from light, perfume/hairspray, and other damage.
I will try to take some additional pictures to better show the color.

Can you take a picture of the entire strand? It appears you have taken very good care of them by the close-ups! I agree with Jeremy that the value may not be tremendous. If you purchased them at an estate sale, I assume you received them for a discounted price. You may be able to sell them for slightly more depending on what that price was.

hi-res10c shows all 61 pearls. Here are some more, both also are the full strand, but it is overcast today. I will try again tomorrow as well if the sun comes out.

Attachments

• ovrcstcsun01.JPG
    ovrcstcsun01.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 63
  • ovrcstcsun02.JPG
    ovrcstcsun02.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 61
I love that color and you will find it very much in vogue today.
Those are nice pictures, but more in other lighting will help.

Back