undrilled pearl storage

wrglrchsr

I have a pearl that has been sitting in my jewelry box for 10 years now. I received it as a gift undrilled and would like to get it drilled for a ring. Would it be a good idea to store this pearl in salt water in order to remoisten it for drilling? I've searched all over the internet and can't find any information on it. I haven't stored it in plastic or heat. It has sat in my jewelry box since i got it. Any information I can get would be super helpful!

Hi, sorry for the question but I am wondering why salt water? (why water altogether...) hope to read from experienced forum user on this one.

Is it a natural pearl? To just rehydrate it put it in the bathroom for a while, days to weeks. The high humidity is better than a salt water soak which would dehydrate them even more. Once out of the shell, they are no longer covered with oyster mucus and deteriorate quickly in plain ocean water by all accounts. And don't store in a vault for long periods of time. Put it in with a damp sponge (not touching) and check occasionally to re-wet, if you must store it there.

Douglas of Cortez pearls recommends a short soak in mineral oil to rehydrate the surface, though painting them with it then wiping it off after several hours would serve the same purpose. This soak should be a one time thing. I am not sure this would apply to akoya pearls because they have been treated already.

If you want to change that name to something pronounceable, let me know. That name looks like one a spammer would use. I can't even remember the first letter when I am not looking at it.

BTW, we would really love to see a photo!!!

As seen on mikimotamerica

Pearl Daily Care

Pearls are organic gemstones that are vulnerable to acid, alkaline and extremes of humidity. To preserve your pearls' radiance, avoid letting them come into contact with cosmetics, hair spray, or perfume. Always put on your jewelry as a final touch, after applying make-up and styling hair.

The pearl's luster can also be harmed by perspiration. To prevent this, before returning your pearls to the jewelry box, wipe them gently with a soft cloth.

Pearl Storage

Pearls are exceptionally cohesive and shock-resistant, but may be scratched by contact with sharp objects or other gemstones. To prevent tangles and scratches, fasten clasps and pins, then lay each item out separately in a compartmentalized jewelry box. When carrying jewelry, use a protective jewelry pouch.

Leaving pearl jewelry in a security box for long periods may cause pearls to dehydrate, so enjoy them frequently. There is a saying that "pearls want to be worn," and it is true!

Back