The Queen of pearl wearers?

pearlescence

purveyor of pearls UK/EU
Today Hm The Queen went to Parliament to make a speech to mark her Diamond Jubilee on the throne. As always she wore pearls. Is she perhaps the best pearl wearer of the Century so far?
(not so sure about the hat though!)
I think the pearls are a necklace given to her by her father. But I'm not sure and can@t find out in the time I have right now, what sort of pearls.

Thanks for the thought and photo. She is, almost like the other QE, the Queen of Pearls.....or maybe a Pearl of Queens...while I do not aspire to her wardrobe, the pearls are a different thing!

It's the reputed vaults which I would love to see...ancient pearls, maybe even from Eliz 1. Naturals.....<arggggggggggg> quivvering voice

She has two main sets of pearls she wears regularly. One (I think it's those she's wearing in this photo) are the multi-million pound natural Queen Anne & Queen Caroline pearls, which are rather lovely. Her father did indeed give them to her for her wedding, before that, her mother wore them regularly.

They are almost the same age, Margaret Thatcher and the Queen, aren't they?

Elizabeth II (Elizabeth Alexandra Mary; born 21 April 1926
Margaret Hilda Thatcher, Baroness Thatcher, LG, OM, PC, FRS, n?e Roberts (born 13 October 1925
and no pearls but Amanda will appreciate these I think:
Nicholas Parsons on 10 October 1923 (and still doing Just a minute every week)
Leslie Samuel Phillips, CBE (born 20 April 1924 (just started tweeting!) also still working

It's the reputed vaults which I would love to see...ancient pearls, maybe even from Eliz 1. Naturals.....<arggggggggggg> quivvering voice

I have no doubt there are lots of pearls from QE I. Since I saw the Tay freshwater necklace that toured the US some years ago. It was from Queen Mary to the Duke of Norfolk, and that that family has maintained it pristinely for 400 years.

I had no idea Nicholas Parsons was nearly 90!

I can't see him in pearls, but perhaps that's a limitation on my imagination.

I had no idea Nicholas Parsons was nearly 90!

I can't see him in pearls, but perhaps that's a limitation on my imagination.

Seems one can be quite masculine draped in pearls in the Renaissance ;)

I just found a picture of Sir Walter Raleigh channeling his inner dandy with a huge pearl dangling from his ear!! And will you look at the pearl or mother-of-pearl buttons and the pearly doo-dahs dangling from the fur cape?!? Naturals (sigh). Any art historian who can shed some light on this portrait and how true to life it might have been?

And of course, his lady love, the Queen, in a corresponding pose.

Attachments

• 25.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 32.2 KB · Views: 60
QE2s hats are fantastic - she always dresses amazingly. She is TINY though - I saw her in real life three times in Australia last year - I wish I had noticed her pearls, but her wonderful face and personality totally overwhelm everything else about her.

I read somewhere that one of her strings of pearls is perfect graduated pearls from (?) Scotland (?) (freshwater?) and it had taken 40 years to put them together for her - as a gift from a loyal subject!

She's not a large woman at all - there was a pic floating around the BBC site last week of her, her daughter-in-law Camilla, and her granddaughter-in-law, Catherine, and they height goes up with generations down.

_58818634_hamper.jpg

I am saddened by the recent death of Maggie, as she was a big influence and inspiration for me ever since I set foot in the UK back in September 1979.

R.I.P. to one of Britain's finest, and a lover of pearls!

DK :(

Back