Tahitians or FW

A Breaker

I am getting better with ID, but these are not easy for me. Trying to figure out the difference. I have put my guess on the first 2. No idea on the 3rd. Please help. Thanks!
IMG_4228.jpg
IMG_4229.jpg
IMG_4230.jpg

I'll give it a shot.
The first image is so overly processed that I can barely look at it without squinting :) Initial guess Tahitian but it's difficult to see much but a round shape and some dark colors. The second looks like the flat shape of FW. The third looks to me like poor quality Tahitians. The circles and bumps are not what I would associate with FW.

I agree.
But I do have dyed FW with those circles, which I bought loose from a Chinese seller at the Eastern States Gem, Mineral and Fossil Show back around 2006. Most dyed FWP don't look like these nowadays. I wore them for years before I could afford Tahitians, and there are still a few shirts I like to wear these with.
dyed FWP small size.jpeg

I agree.
But I do have dyed FW with those circles, which I bought loose from a Chinese seller at the Eastern States Gem, Mineral and Fossil Show back around 2006. Most dyed FWP don't look like these nowadays. I wore them for years before I could afford Tahitians, and there are still a few shirts I like to wear these with.
View attachment 470727
Wow! These do look very real, and fairly pretty actually. Thanks for sharing. I somehow start to wish I can buy a strand of dyed CFW like this. :p Did the luster change much? It’s been nearly 20 years.

As to the 3 pics, I tend to guess 1 and 2 are not Tahitian, and 3 is low quality Tahitian.

Now I'm noticing a few eggy pearls on the right side near the clasp in #1, which we'd expect with FWP.
Also the pearls are all too close to being the same size. Tahitian strands usually graduate at least a little bit.
So I'm changing my guess for #1 to being FWP.

@StarryPearl, they are as lustrous as they were then, but my Tahitians have better luster.

Thank you all for really trying with my photos. So Sorry. Trying to capture the actual pearls with my phone...so hard. They do look like the photo...but that sounds like it wasn't helpful, sorry.

Back