tahitian or not?

linda.wald

I bought this recently. The seller said they were tahitian, but I'm not sure. They are very small, 5-6mm. Any ideas? Thanks!
tahitian?bracelet5.jpgtahitian?bracelet1.jpegtahitian?bracelet2.jpegtahitian?bracelet3.jpeg

Hmm, I thought I replied but it doesn't seem to be there, so I will try again. My apologies if I have done it twice.

Thank you! I am wondering: how small do tahatians normally come? Another way: what is the size range of beads usually usually used?

In my experience, you will normally see Tahitians about 8mm and larger. Smaller is unusual. Not unheard of, but not common.

Hmm, I thought I replied but it doesn't seem to be there, so I will try again. My apologies if I have done it twice.

Thank you! I am wondering: how small do Tahitians normally come? Another way: what is the size range of beads usually usually used?

This past fall Pearl Paradise had lots of tiny Tahitians that were snapped up because you just don't see them very often. Outside two strands are 6 to 7 mm. If you want any kind of small pearl I would contact Hisano at PP because she uses may small pearls for her little h line.

IMG_1289.jpg

A Pearl Paradise blog post that shows tiny Tahitians

http://blog.pearlparadise.com/2016/05/itsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny-little-pearls-from-tahiti/

Experts already confirmed - dyed freshwater. I think the shape gives it out.. this "short round", slightly potato look.. even though I don't think I would notice it but for your particular question whether they are freshwater or tahitians)) I would say it's a nice fun strand, of course if it's not priced as tahitians..

Lugana, great point on the price. This is a pretty strand, for sure. When looking at Tahitians vs freshwater pearls, I always notice that the FWP that have been dyed "peacock" colors often look a tad like dyed Easter eggs. In other words, they don't have the depth of a Tahitian pearl. The Tahitian will have almost an ethereal quality that is most often lacking in a dyed FWP. I think if you compare your strand to newberry's photo above you will see what we are talking about.

I bought some loose dyed baroque FWP years ago from which I made a necklace.

Two things that distinguish them from my Tahitians are:
1. they have more purple and blue colors than my Tahitians (as do yours)
2. the Tahitians have a noticeably higher luster.

Back