Superficial scratch or discoloration?

I recently purchased some Edison pearls after seeing live images of them to confirm any possible defects. At that time, they were unmarred, but when I received them I noticed what looks to be superficial scratches. This is most notable on my 16mm Edison. I say "superficial" because I can't actually feel anything or see any change in depth of the nacre. However, the color looks unnaturally removed. Can anyone tell me if this is something that can be buffed out or is this something that naturally occurs in pearls? Did I mention these are my very first pearls? I'm looking forward to everyone's advice.

Attachments

• IMG_7262.jpeg
    IMG_7262.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7264.jpeg
    IMG_7264.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7263.jpeg
    IMG_7263.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
Hi there GoG!
And welcome to our Pearl Forum :)
Hard to tell without actually having the pearls in my hand and using a loupe!
But these markings seem to be protein-calcite depositions...they may look like scratch marks, but are actually deposited by the mollusk's mantle, then coated with normal or regular nacre layers. These are usually deposited due to some environmental issue during the development of the mussel and its pearl.
Hoping some other members can see these pics and come up with other possible answers.

I tend to believe that’s naturally born that way, instead of scratch or discoloration. I have a purple Edison which shows a similar blemish. Let me see if I can find a pic later.

Update: Here it is. The other side is very beautiful purple.
IMG_3207.jpeg

Last edited:
I was told by the vendor this morning that they are growth steaks. I'm confused how I didn't see them when I purchased them. Does anyone have any suggestions on settings that could disguise these blemishes a little?

Those are what we called birthmarks. It's not above the surface, but underneath the surface. Not something you can buff out or fix.
We categorize these is commercial grade pearls.

Yens, have you also seen this kind of blemish on dyed pearls?
Treating the color of the pearls does not remove these blemishes. You'll still see these marks regardless. I'd say these marks are very common since 80% of the edisons are commercial or lower in quality. And producers normally use mid to lower quality to treat into different colors.

Best to consider this as a characteristic that is shown in Edisons. Also easier for consumers to distinguish FWP Edison and a SSP (since fwp sizes are now in 14-16, 16-18, and 18-20mm ranges).

I was told by the vendor this morning that they are growth steaks. I'm confused how I didn't see them when I purchased them. Does anyone have any suggestions on settings that could disguise these blemishes a little?
Well, they may call them "growth streaks", but it is actually what I said they were: sub-surface deposits of calcite or protein.
And as @Yens has correctly stated: they cannot be removed, buffed, polished away. They are normal in pearls.
These pearls are beautiful with these "birthmarks", but without these they would be even more beautiful.

Well, they may call them "growth streaks", but it is actually what I said they were: sub-surface deposits of calcite or protein.
And as @Yens has correctly stated: they cannot be removed, buffed, polished away. They are normal in pearls.
These pearls are beautiful with these "birthmarks", but without these they would be even more beautiful.
A healthy pearl sac needs to stretch a lot, hence juvenile cells tend to form uniformly over the entire surface.

It's not a perfect world though. Spontaneous stretch marking isn't uncommon, thus replaced with calcite (as opposed to aragonite) at high times during a growth period. Over exertion can also cause tiny perforations surrounding a pearl which may form raspberry-like surfaces. Large singular perforations may cause circles. And yes, these cannot be treated effectively.

The most elegant pearls have highly elastic, finely uniformed sacs.

Back