strand lengths vs length of pearls

DFE

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and am not in the jewelry business so I need a little education. I recently ordered an 18" pearl necklace. When it arrived, the pearls measured 17.25" plus the clasp, totalled 17.75". I assumed that when you order an 18" strand of pearls that you would get a full 18 inches of pearls and then the clasp would be added. What is the industry standard on measuring a strand?

Hi, I would expect your 18 inch strand was a total of 18inches, not 18 inches of pearls plus the clasp. BUT it really should be a full 18 inches...
Welcome to the forum DFE, and hope you stick around!

Definitely 18 inches with the clasp, otherwise there would be no standard length as clasp sizes vary.

A finished strand of 17.75 could also be about right for a strand that has just been knotted if the knots are tight. They should loosen up after a couple of wears and the strand will settle right at about 18 inches.

Standard length includes the clasp. A quarter inch is nothing to be concerned about. Knots and pearls vary quite a bit and "Admin", or Caitlin, is right. It will probably settle to be 18" after several wearings. The more important question is - do you like it? Are you happy with the appearance and the surface luster? Does it make your heart sing? ;)

Welcome to the forum, DFE.
I would expect the length stated to include the clasp, and 0.25 inch is reasonable tolerance.
As the others state, the necklace will settle down and stretch out a little after a couple of wearings.

Having said all that, I always give actual measurements on my items for sale as I can be a picky buyer myself and would hate to disappoint someone like me........:)

Sueki, I agree with you - yes, I knew the necklace would settle, but I would alway give the exact length when I sell a strand...

Thanks everyone for the information. I have an engineering background and am accustomed to precise measurements. I don't mean to be picky - I was just unaware of the standard.

The pearls are beautiful and were purchased as a gift for my daughter. Now I want to buy some for myself! My daughter and I both love pearls and have always worn them in rings or earrings. This is the first strand I have purchased, so when it arrived and I tried it on, it felt like a choker rather than a princess length, which is what led me to measure it. Since my duagher is younger (and smaller) than me, I'm sure it will be just fine on her. Mainly, I just wanted her to have a beautiful gift that will remind her of her of how proud I am of her college achievement!

Sidenote: Prior to purchasing the pearls, I read your forum and was quite educated on different companies and their 'grading' of pearls. I found that AAA at some stores is the same as AA gradings at others, so I made myself a little chart and based my purchase on the percentage of blemishes (or lack thereof) rather than and AA, AA+, or AAA grading. Thanks for the education!

DFE

Hi Pattye,

I did bring ub the subject a long time ago but it never was discussed properly and by now I have forgotten where i put the post and when:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back