South Sea or Akoya Pearl Necklace?

pearl4me

Hi,

I'm new here. I've been researching pearls and came across this site. I truly enjoy reading up on the information and honest opinions. :)

I'm a diamond gal myself and only own a few pearl items. My mom gave me a 13.8 mm SSP ring which I haven't worn due to its large size. I wanted to get something to match for when I wear it so last month I asked my jeweler to order 2 loose SSP (9.8 mm) and set as dangling earrings. I also got a matching 10.8 mm pendant which can double as an enhancer.

While at the store, I saw a strand of unstrung 7.6-9.9 mm SSP. I understand this is small for SSP necklace but the size suits me as I'm only 5' 1" and 115 lbs with medium frame. I'm in my mid-40s. The SSP were beautiful with lovely luster but have more blemishes than I'd like (grade A/AA?).

I originally thought a strand of SSP will be good for day to day and I can use my enhancer with it for formal wear. I found a 9-10 mm SSP Grade AAA from Overstock for about $3K. I corresponded with their gemologist who said the pearls are round, very lightly blemished, thick nacre, high luster, white. http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Wa...Diamond-Necklace-9-10-mm/4460764/product.html

For $3K, I realized I could also get a high quality Akoya (AAA/Hadanama). I'm looking at 18" 9-8.5 mm strand.
I don?t have preference whether it?s Akoya or SSP (don?t personally like freshwater) so it?s hard for me to decide. I saw both types in person and I like SSP for the nice white color and the Akoya for the luster and the ability of getting high quality piece.

I don?t wear necklaces often but I like to collect beautiful things. For this kind of money I?m just not sure what?s better for the money. I read that Akoya is more delicate and can wear out and yellow over time. I also have a 17" double-strand 8 mm Akoya from my mom from the 70s. It has beautiful sheen and clean of blemishes but has yellowed because it was in a safety deposit box for years. It's quite a formal looking strand and not suitable for day time. So I'm looking for a strand that's about 9 mm or so size. I plan to wear this necklace more for day time probably a few times a month. Is it better to get SSP or high end Akoya for the same money? Any thoughts are appreciated.

although I am obviously biased but is this really where you want to get your pearl necklace from?
2009_os_about_WWA.jpg

That being said, I think you've already outlined the decision you need to make:
I like SSP for the nice white color and the Akoya for the luster and the ability of getting high quality piece.

They are different pearls with different characteristics and only you can decide what you like best, either one is going to get a lot of compliments though. Really its not such a bad problem to have ;)

Thank you for your comment.

Each type of pearl is very beautiful in its own right. I'm wondering more about the long term value. A carat of diamond will remain a carat and hopefully retain its value and may even appreciate over time. From what I read, pearls appear to be non-generational (can't expect to pass it down from generation to generation). The intrinsic value seems to come from the joy of wearing and owning them as over time they wear down and show their age.

I would like to be able to pass my pearls down to my daughters--something they can enjoy and cherish. Is it possible to find pearls that will last and not deteriorate or significantly depreciate over time? $3K is a lot of money and I'd also like to collect other pieces over time. For pearls of around 9 mm in size, which would be a better buy long term: South Sea pearls grade AAA or high quality Akoya?

pearl4me,

Welcome and good for you doing research. As you've noticed, the luster is very different. Getting Hanadama quality Akoya would give you assurance the nacre is thick and would probably change very little over time. Nobody knows what will happen as far as value. Did you try on both the strands to see what color suited you the best?

I originally thought a strand of SSP will be good for day to day and I can use my enhancer with it for formal wear. I found a 9-10 mm SSP Grade AAA from Overstock for about $3K. I corresponded with their gemologist who said the pearls are round, very lightly blemished, thick nacre, high luster, white.

Make sure you can return these pearls if you are not satisfied and decide to return them. A strand of 9-10 mm white South Sea pearls would have 43 pearls. That is around $70 per pearl. It is impossible to buy loose AAA South Sea pearls at this price from a producer, so the grading (in my opinion) is just slapped on. The other parts are very subjective (lightly blemished, high luster).

Did you try on both the strands to see what color suited you the best?

Pattye: Yes, I did. For Akoya, I seem to look better with whiter pearls with not too much pink overtone (the pinkier ones completely wash me out) or white ones with some silver overtone. I have fair olive skin tone so SSP white looks nice. It took me a while to get used to the whiteness of SSP though when my mom first gave me a SSP ring but it does provide a nice contrast to my skin color. Some of my friends who are fans of Akoya just don't seem to like the whiteness of SSP on small strand and prefer Akoya on me (I think they're biased ;))

Jeremy: I'm a little unsure of Overstock SSP pearls as well that's why I haven't made the plunge. My husband said just order the strand and take a look and if it's not what I expect to return it. I just hate to go through that much trouble but nothing's like seeing it in person. Another reason I'm interested in that SSP strand is because of its 9-10 mm size which doesn't seem to be very common elsewhere. Plus, I'd like a necklace that is not a graduated strand and most SSP necklaces are graduated. BTW, I love looking at pearls on your site. You don't have smaller, non graduated SSP but the Hadanamas are gorgeous!

Make sure you can return these pearls if you are not satisfied and decide to return them. A strand of 9-10 mm white South Sea pearls would have 43 pearls. That is around $70 per pearl. It is impossible to buy loose AAA South Sea pearls at this price from a producer, so the grading (in my opinion) is just slapped on. The other parts are very subjective (lightly blemished, high luster).

I was just thinking the same thing reading through this thread- what assurances do you have that the necklace pictured and described is the exact necklace you'll be receiving? So much of the description of the necklace seems boiler-plate, that it could be any south sea strand...

After endless hours pouring over websites looking up pearls, I've decided to get a SSP necklace as my next piece much to my DH's relief as he probably never wants to hear the word pearl again. ;) I already have a double strand 8 mm akoya so I think a strand of SSP would be a nice addition. I'd very much like a strand of 9 or 9.5 mm akoya down the road (I'm dazzled by the hanadama) but for now I'm on a hunt for a nice strand of small SSP. I'm only 5' 1" so nothing too big, 11 or 12 mm will probably be the biggest I'll get as I fear anything bigger may be too overwhelming. Do you think this will be too big still?

If it's a graduated strand, then it shouldn't be too big. I think you would be very happy with the 11mm. :cool:

I would think the size you choose should be in line with your style and your personality. I'm 5'2" and I have a strand of baroque SS pearls that are 9 to 13 mm and I still covet a larger strand (someday...) A good example is Nancy Pelosi, she's tiny and she wears very large pearls.

If you're worried about size, I would recommend trying on strands of the size you are looking for. Different SS pearl strands will have subtle color differences too, always good to try them on against your skin tone.

Thanks GemGeek and Donna for your input. I only saw larger strands, 13 mm and up at the front, at the jewelry stores near me. I tried one on that was about 14 mm at the front and it looked overpowering. It could be that the strand was very white white almost like a toothpaste so it looked more like fashion beads than SSP--no warm glow whatsoever. I supposed when I find a strand I like online, I can ordering it and return it if it doesn't look right on. Although I truly hope to find one that I love. Fingers crossed.

Recall it was mentioned elsewhere that often vendors do not have all their strands and inventory listed on the website. Could be worth your time to be proactive and make some phone calls to vendors you are considering. Photos can be emailed for your consideration. A SSP strand is a major purchase, and waiting for the necklace to appear on a website might not be the best way to go.

Pattye's advice is, as always. spot on. If you tell any of us vendors what you are looking for then we can look out for it and get if we come across it. However much we try, it is impossible to stock every variation of every possible pearl in every possible setting.....
Ordering with a plan to return lots of necklaces just gives money to the shipping companies and the credit card companies (who charge us when on the sale and the refund, did you know that? They're banks!)
The ideal is someone who can come in to the showroom and look at what we have and if stock doesn't work then at least we will have worked together into a pretty good idea of what the client wants

Pattye's advice is, as always. spot on. If you tell any of us vendors what you are looking for then we can look out for it and get if we come across it. However much we try, it is impossible to stock every variation of every possible pearl in every possible setting.....
Ordering with a plan to return lots of necklaces just gives money to the shipping companies and the credit card companies (who charge us when on the sale and the refund, did you know that? They're banks!)
The ideal is someone who can come in to the showroom and look at what we have and if stock doesn't work then at least we will have worked together into a pretty good idea of what the client wants

If you have choices for merchant processors in the UK you should call a new one and have then take a look at your statements to see how much they can beat your current. Then take that quote to another and to another. Here in the US it is so competitive now you can get those fees down to almost nothing - under two percent on the transaction and nothing on a refund, in fact a reimbursement of the original transaction charge.

No problem. When I switched us the first time I found out that we had paid over $30,000 in unnecessary fees the year prior. It was infuriating.

If you have choices for merchant processors in the UK you should call a new one and have then take a look at your statements to see how much they can beat your current. Then take that quote to another and to another. Here in the US it is so competitive now you can get those fees down to almost nothing - under two percent on the transaction and nothing on a refund, in fact a reimbursement of the original transaction charge.

This type of answer shows what kind of a person you are. You reap what you sow. I hope you receive good karma all the time for the nice things you do.

Back