Some unknown pearls from my grandmothers estate.

Kevin

I am totally clueless as to pearls, and I was wondering if I could get some opinions on these. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgDWS 002DWS 001

Hi Kevin, welcome,

Thank you for sharing your photos and taking several of each lovely necklace. But it is still very difficult to evaluate the photos with the blue background. Could you please retake pics against a plain white paper towel?

Also please let us know if there are any markings on the back of the clasp, or sometimes on the tongue. thanks again.

Also, gently rub two of the pearls together. If they are slightly gritty, they are likely real; fake pearls feel smooth when rubbed together (or against a tooth).

The rubbing test seems to indicate they are all fake, but I will add pics just in case. Here's the first one.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

They do look very uniform (as fakes tend to) and the clasps look like base metal.

Since they are also smooth when rubbed together, I think it's safe to say they are fake.

Vintage imitation pearls are pretty and collectible; these seem to be a good quality from the photos, perhaps just need fresh string. With sentimental value, of course, perhaps to be enjoyed by females in the family. Please put up photos of the 3 strand necklace with the blue stone on the clasp.

I was looking at the way these are attached to the clasp. There seem to be bead tips as opposed to bullion. Am I seeing this right? Was that an accepted way of finishing quality pearl necklaces?

I have so many questions!

Some akoya strands from the early 50's were finished with bead cups (one knot in the cup, one after the 1st pearl and no other knots on the strand!)

Ah! Thank you Marianne.

I was also trying to see how the Cardellini pearls show in another thread were finished. There seems to be a gold bead just before the clasp. So many different ways.

Thanks!

Thanks Pattye, I saw that pearl with the coating coming too the other day. Yes they all failed the test. Well I least I learned a few things! :)

Some akoya strands from the early 50's were finished with bead cups (one knot in the cup, one after the 1st pearl and no other knots on the strand!)

And they are still used. My first good pearl necklace, purchased in 1987, had heavy 14k gold bead tips. So heavy, that I could not open them to reuse them when it came time to restring.

Back