Should i get these tested?

LindaFletcher

Hello fellow pearl lovers! I was hoping someone could help identify these beauties? I’d love to know what time period they came from and if they look like it would be worth it to test them to see if they were wild? I do know they are definitely old, the string is ancient that they are strung on- I purchased them from the estate of a very wealthy women in her 90s who lived in a gigantic home filled with antiques & treasures on the coast of Maine.

The pearls are real, sizes range from approx. 4mm - 11mm, the clasp is marked 14k, with tiny sapphires, emerald, rubies and diamonds making a flower pattern.

Thanks for your expert insight!

Attachments

• IMG_7889.jpeg
    IMG_7889.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_7891.jpeg
    IMG_7891.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_7890.jpeg
    IMG_7890.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Ok I’m going chime in with my two cents. First off they are beautiful! I love funky pearls. But to my eye they look like baroque cultured akoyas. Especially given the large size and the clasp which I would date to mid century (1950-1970). That being said, if you can afford it, get them certified. Maybe you hit the jackpot. Either way a fun find. Enjoy them!

The clasp definitely looks 1970's when everyone was mixing red/blue/green stones in rings/clasps/earrings. I agree with the estimation that they are baroque, but sometimes naturals can be hidden, especially in the jewelry boxes of the very rich! Best of luck! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

I’m gonna bite the bullet and send it off to the GIA, it’s only money, right? 🤑 I’ll post the report when i get it thanks!
I am awaiting to hear the results. I LOVE it when people find they have a hidden treasure right under their nose...or on the neck!

Having not seen these in person and taking your provenance at face value, they've scored equally in my cursory examination.

Anything => 50% (natural v cultural) merits a trip to the lab. Possibly a mixed strand.

Either way, it's a very nice piece. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Thank you all for the input! I also thought the clasp was midcentury- it’s for sure handmade because the gold spokes on the back are all uneven widths if that helps to date it? The only thing i was thinking was i don’t recall people wearing a lot of double pearl chokers in the 70’s? This guy (or should i say lady) is a tight double choker on your neck, a very specific deco style. I guess I’ll find out soon enough and when i hear from the GIA I’ll upload the results. I also have so other interesting pearl pieces I’ve collected throughout the years I’ll upload, one pearl ring is outrageous.

I’m not going to comment on what i think these are, I’m so far from a pearl expert but for fun i did go on Christie’s and looked up natural pearl necklaces, and wow! Stunning examples and crazy prices! I saw lots of them with baroque shaped pearls that were “natural, wild and ungodly expensive- maybe they’re not baroque but just not perfectly round? I didn’t think my were because i didn’t see those lines that baroque pearls have…Again, not an expert here. 😵‍💫🫠🤷‍♀️ Thats why i have to send this off - I’ll drive myself crazy with research unless i do.

Side note: anyone go estate sailing in Maine? It’s outrageous what you can find in terms of estate jewelry, lots of old money around! I wouldn’t be surprised if someone found the hope diamond at an estate sale in Maine., lol 😂i do know someone who found an actual Faberge Egg.

Thanks again!

Do you see any chipping or cracking around the drill holes? A strand that old, if cultured, should have a visible bead somewhere within the strand. Is there a hole in the center of the pearl on the inner strand, #19/#27 depending on which way you count?

The size, shape and nacre does not look like baroque akoya to me. It looks like a strand of naturals. The pearls in the clasp look cultured.

It’s belong to my late Mom who pass this year.. it was given to her as a gift in the early 90” she got nail polish (black)on them and I try cleaning them with acetone nail polish remover ,it did not help,but it didn’t damage them.. as help on if they are real and how to remove polish? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6623.jpeg
    IMG_6623.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6622.jpeg
    IMG_6622.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6631.jpeg
    IMG_6631.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6617.jpeg
    IMG_6617.jpeg
    843.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6613.png
    IMG_6613.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6611.jpeg
    IMG_6611.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
here are more pic

Attachments

• IMG_6616.jpeg
    IMG_6616.jpeg
    807.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6610.jpeg
    IMG_6610.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6622.jpeg
    IMG_6622.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 30
Try to find someone that can help you shoot some nice photos. These are so out of focus that not much can be said of them.
But just by squinting at the thumbnails: these look like cultured pearls.

Nail polish remover would have taken the pearly-looking coating off if they were fake pearls.
It didn’t damage them at all ! I know they’re Real due to a back story ( history ) ,I just wanted to know what kind of pearl it is ! My mom once tried pawning them in 2001 due to hard times granted to us.. she was able to sell two Gold necklace in a ring, but the jewelry store in our area was one of the top jewelry stores! He wouldn’t accept the Pearl due to they are authentic and he didn’t have that type of money in the store to pay her for those. He told her to get it appraise.. that’s what my late mother told me at the time .. so we always kept in a safe place.. when she passed I thought about putting the pearl on her , but my brother
Advised me not to, because someone may steal them off her ..to make a long story short.. I just want to know what kind they’re and to see if this site was accurate in telling real from fake… Thanks you so much for the information that was given!

They look like cultured akoya pearls that have yellowed a bit.

About removing the nail polish-- I just asked my daughter if there was any kind of nail polish that would not come off with nail polish remover, and she said no-- any nail polish should come off, even gel type nail polish. She also said to ask you: Are you sure it's nail polish?

Assuming it is nail polish, just continue applying the nail polish remover (soak a swab with it), rubbing gently. As it starts to dissolve, use a clean swab and keep going until the polish is all gone. After the pearls are clean, remove any residual polish remover by wiping the pearls with a damp soft cloth.

If you don't have any family members who want to wear the pearls, and you want to sell them, you could try consigning them at a local jewelry store. They will take their cut of the selling price (often 50%). Unfortunately pre-owned pearls don't tend to hold their value, unlike gold. The sale price may be disappointing. I would not bother to pay to have them appraised-- that would just eat into the money you make from selling them.

Thanks so much !
They look like cultured akoya pearls that have yellowed a bit.

About removing the nail polish-- I just asked my daughter if there was any kind of nail polish that would not come off with nail polish remover, and she said no-- any nail polish should come off, even gel type nail polish. She also said to ask you: Are you sure it's nail polish?

Assuming it is nail polish, just continue applying the nail polish remover (soak a swab with it), rubbing gently. As it starts to dissolve, use a clean swab and keep going until the polish is all gone. After the pearls are clean, remove any residual polish remover by wiping the pearls with a damp soft cloth.

If you don't have any family members who want to wear the pearls, and you want to sell them, you could try consigning them at a local jewelry store. They will take their cut of the selling price (often 50%). Unfortunately pre-owned pearls don't tend to hold their value, unlike gold. The sale price may be disappointing. I would not bother to pay to have them appraised-- that would just eat into the money you make from selling them.
Thanks so much!

It’s belong to my late Mom who pass this year.. it was given to her as a gift in the early 90” she got nail polish (black)on them and I try cleaning them with acetone nail polish remover ,it did not help,but it didn’t damage them.. as help on if they are real and how to remove polish? Thanks
I don't think it's black nail polish. I've seen this damage before on pearls. I can't be certain, but I think "seconds" were sold at gem shows and had black sharpie marks on pearls of lesser quality, but had a 14k gold clasp. I would suggest having them reknotted and remove the damaged pearl, if you want to wear them.

Hello fellow pearl lovers! I was hoping someone could help identify these beauties? I’d love to know what time period they came from and if they look like it would be worth it to test them to see if they were wild? I do know they are definitely old, the string is ancient that they are strung on- I purchased them from the estate of a very wealthy women in her 90s who lived in a gigantic home filled with antiques & treasures on the coast of Maine.

The pearls are real, sizes range from approx. 4mm - 11mm, the clasp is marked 14k, with tiny sapphires, emerald, rubies and diamonds making a flower pattern.

Thanks for your expert insight!
I would recommend you get them appraised. They way the pearls are graduated and the use of French Wire at the clasp, make me think they are from the 1980's-90's. The clasp design was popular back then. I can't believe I'm talking about the 80-90's as old!... but it's now considered vintage. The gemstones were much more available then and used in "bridge" jewelry, that might have been bought in the better jewelry section of a department store. I'll be curious to know what you find out!

Back