Seeking Sustainably Farmed Tahitian Pearls

T

TeNatura

I am a designer looking to develop an ongoing relationship with a supplier who can provide sustainably farmed Tahitians. If anyone has advice or information on where to source small quantities of pearls coming from farms with an emphasis on environmental preservation or sustainable practices feel free to email me on or off list.

Thank you for such an excellent forum!

Kind Regards,

-Kristen Andersen

Sustainably farmed Tahitians

Sustainably farmed Tahitians

Hi Kristen,

I recommend you look at the thread about pearls the ecologically conscious gem choice or something like that. Anyway, they all are sustainably farmed, the only problem is in later treatment of the pearls. If you buy from any Tahitian farm directly you get ecologically correct untreated pearls. That would involve pretty high investments, though. You may ask forum founder Jeremy Shepherd for medium wholesale lots. He buys in-the-oyster harvest lots.

By the way, I have once bought some really nice artist-signed mermaid postcards on Catalina. It was some Scandinavian name I can currently not recall, something with K, I think. Anyhow, if you know where to get some more particularly the Eskimo one, please let me know.

Zeide

Hi Zeide and All,

Thanks for the reply! I will follow up with Jeremy re wholesale Tahitians.

My love of pearls comes from not only their exceptional, unique beauty but also their inherent sustainability. Where else can we find such exquisite, rapidly renewing gems? That being said, as I learn more about the industry I am beginning to realize not all farms have the same awareness of ethical or sustainable practices. So, ideally I am looking to build relationships with traders/farms/buisiness that are taking (or wish to take) that extra step towards both cultural and environmental stewardship.

I am eager to learn more, so all thoughts and ideas are welcome!

Kind Regards,

-Kristen

P.S. Off the top of my head I do not know of the artist you mentioned, but I will keep my eyes open!

Sustainable pearls

Sustainable pearls

Hello,
Im another designer looking for sustainable pearls - also have an ethical policy. I saw that the forum founder may be able to help with this. Im looking to launch the collection at the end of this month and pearls are the only thing Im really struggling to trace back to origin.
How do I contact Jeremy, or has more info on this became available?

Fifi, you can send him a private message, though he usually gets to most of these threads.

Back