Sand or salt

I assumed she was photographing them for a sales listing, eBay or Etsy maybe. I've seen listings with pearls displayed that way on a bed of coarse salt.

I assumed she was photographing them for a sales listing, eBay or Etsy maybe. I've seen listings with pearls displayed that way on a bed of coarse salt.

Sand or salt tends to hide the lower part of the pearl. A firm surface allows capture of the entire visible side of the pearl.

Which is why identification is recommended on a dull, white surface. Although, I prefer shiny because it allows light to reflect upon the underside of the pearl.

With a shiny surface, dramatic shadows add contrast to the lower half of the pearls.

Attachments

• pearls0001.jpg
    pearls0001.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 73
I'd be afraid of scratching the pearls with either of those things. I'd probably opt for fabric, personally (although this would not necessarily help with rolling).

Don't laugh...I've used a Cheerio kernel before, well for Tahitian pearls anyway.

Actually I saw an Etsy reviewer photographed her pearls on a plate, next to her salad (see KongsPearl review page 5)

That's brilliant, BlackPearlDudeDC! Where were you the years I had to set up jewelry catalog shoots lol?

Just for fun my SOC ala cheerio:

SOC1.jpg

*not catalog ready :)

That's brilliant, BlackPearlDudeDC! Where were you the years I had to set up jewelry catalog shoots lol?

You captured the overtones very well, BPDDC. And the cheerio, you can photoshop that away.

Back