Rescued pearls

JoannaK

Community member
Hello Everyone ,

I have purchased a strand of pearls , it wasn't expensive so I didn't have high expectation , but when the pearls arrived ... well pictures speaks for itself ...
20161101_104115.jpg
20161101_104110.jpg

I'm not an expert but I look at pearls closely and I think this are real pearls , so I decided to do my best to rescue it.
I cut the dirty string and I wash pearls, I learn from YouTube how to knot the pearls. today I put them back together
I took pictures and I love them , but I don't know what kind pearls are this? any help please
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Thank you in advance

I don't know what kind of pearls they are, but you certainly made a "silk purse from a sow's ear" as they say! I would say your rescue job was successful!

I'm going to guess they are akoyas, because they are very round and very evenly matched.

How on earth did the previous owner get knots THAT dirty. EW!

You did a wonderful job cleaning them up and reknotting. them. The refreshed necklace looks beautiful.

I once re-knotted a strand from a Mrs farmer, who wore them all the time (good) including while milking and other farm stuff (not quite so good) they were quite grubby. But inside the pearl some of the thread was still whiter.
Wondering though, since the thread looks evenly black - was black thread used? Mrs Farmer's knots were that ick yellow brown grey of general muckyness. Black thread would have been black even right inside the pearls

I'm going to guess they are akoyas, because they are very round and very evenly matched.

How on earth did the previous owner get knots THAT dirty. EW!

You did a wonderful job cleaning them up and reknotting. them. The refreshed necklace looks beautiful.

Thank you so much! Oh yes the string was ...eeeeewwww , I used gloves to remove it as it was very bad.
I soak the pearls in warm water for some time .than wash them in salty water and rinse 10 times in clean water ,
Thanks to this forum I learn so much already and I must say I fall in love with pearls :)
I own small akoya pearls from Pearlsource , but it was my firs real strand so I didn't actually know what I'm getting :)
and no I'm super excited as I ordered a pair of hanadama earings and freshadama neckless from Pearl Paradise ! I'm sooo looking forward to receiving them :)
Thank you again :)

Kindest Regards Joanna

I once re-knotted a strand from a Mrs farmer, who wore them all the time (good) including while milking and other farm stuff (not quite so good) they were quite grubby. But inside the pearl some of the thread was still whiter.
Wondering though, since the thread looks evenly black - was black thread used? Mrs Farmer's knots were that ick yellow brown grey of general muckyness. Black thread would have been black even right inside the pearls

Unfortunately the string was white ( well ... at least some time ago) so you can imagine. The string with cover with sort of grease , hairs and was very sticky . I just though I will try to wash them and see what happens or trow them away - and I'm so happy I did :)

Well I'm impressed...that's a darn good job for a first time knotting !!! And the pearls look wonderful compared to when you received them !

Thank you so much ! I didn't know much on string size so I bought few sizes but this pearls I have use a 0.45 silk thread , so the knots are not as visible but still doing a job separate the pearls :)

I think they are akoyas. Good job, you can knot very well!

Wow...beautiful job! I'm far not an expert, but they seem to be akoya pearls.
And you know what I like the most? The flowery clasp! Nice find! May I ask you, where you have found it?

Wow...beautiful job! I'm far not an expert, but they seem to be akoya pearls.
And you know what I like the most? The flowery clasp! Nice find! May I ask you, where you have found it?

Thank you Katalin , actually the clasp cough my eye. I found it on ebay .the pictures were very blurry , but I've message the seller asking if the strand are real pearls , seller said- yes- cultured pearls , price was quite low , so I give it a go and I'm happy I did :)

Back