Request For Pearls ID

Kimberly22

Hi Pearl Guide Folks - I have some questions about a couple of my latests grabs. I think the ones with the 14k beads are fresh water, but I don't know, of course. And the more lustrous ones maybe akoyas? In addition, I have another question, but if I need to ask in a different thread, please advise. Regarding the necklace and matching bracelet with the beads, I was considering cutting up the strands to re-purpose because the gold beads are really nice and would cost me a fortune to buy. Would you do that if it was you? I have no emotional connection to the strands. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Attachments

• 1pearl1.jpg
    1pearl1.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 1pearl2.jpg
    1pearl2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 1pearl3.jpg
    1pearl3.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 1pearl4.jpg
    1pearl4.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 1pearl5.jpg
    1pearl5.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 1pearl6.jpg
    1pearl6.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 2pearl1.jpg
    2pearl1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 2pearl2.jpg
    2pearl2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 2pearl3.jpg
    2pearl3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 2pearl4.jpg
    2pearl4.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 2pearl5.jpg
    2pearl5.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 2pearl6.jpg
    2pearl6.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 61
Hey! Kimberly. I do this a lot. I just bought a multi color pearl necklace to harvest the 166 14k spacer beads out of. I have also bought necklaces like you are considering in different size 14k beads also. Some times is makes sense to do this rather than buy them new.

I agree-- I'd remove and reuse those 14K round beads in a heartbeat.

I think the second necklace is probably akoyas but they do not seem to have particularly good luster, at least in your photos. Were you using a diffuse light source? It's harder to see luster with diffuse light. With a single light source and a white background, the luster is seen in how much contrast there is between the dark circle of reflection in the center of the pearl and the surrounding nacre. More light/dark contrast = higher luster.

Hey! Kimberly. I do this a lot. I just bought a multi color pearl necklace to harvest the 166 14k spacer beads out of. I have also bought necklaces like you are considering in different size 14k beads also. Some times is makes sense to do this rather than buy them new.
Thanks. Those little 14k beads could break the bank!

I agree-- I'd remove and reuse those 14K round beads in a heartbeat.

I think the second necklace is probably akoyas but they do not seem to have particularly good luster, at least in your photos. Were you using a diffuse light source? It's harder to see luster with diffuse light. With a single light source and a white background, the luster is seen in how much contrast there is between the dark circle of reflection in the center of the pearl and the surrounding nacre. More light/dark contrast = higher luster.

I'm working with a new camera and still trying to adequately capture pearls. The lustre is nice, but unlikely stunning. :) Thanks!

Back