recommendations of suppliers

colourmad

Hello all,

New to this site, but already hooked on pearls! Trying to find some quality akoya keshi pearls/Kasumi /kasumi-like/stacked keshi/excellent drop freshwater pearls. Could you help in recommending some reputable suppliers?

I am not looking for ready-made jewellery, but supplies for making them, as I make my own as a hobby. I live in the UK, so buy all my supplies online, so far Etsy has been the main source. Not a lot available there in really good quality pearls, hence my question.

Hope you can help.

Thank you,

Catrinel

I would also recommend that you contact Wendy in the UK - send an IM to Pearlescence. :)

Hello, yljewelrys/Johnny! I just visited your site. It's interesting. I didn't find any remarks about a return policy, and I didn't see any remarks in the description of your pearls regarding whether or not they're dyed.

When someone orders from your store and blemishes are listed as a feature of the pearl, does the buyer get to specify what blemishes will be refused? Suppose I say a few little dimples are ok, but not banding or circling? Or suppose I say only blemish free-surfaces?

What if the buyer says I want a full 16"?

What if the buyer says I don't want you to sell my email address?
Thank you, not being mean, these are questions I think are important.

Last edited:
Uh oh, Nailed! Tut-tut! Time for the polar bear to put up the paw to cover his eyes. That Polar bear pic post was from Dave, right?

Last edited:
Good Grief Jeremy, That was word for word! Some people have no morals at all!

J Shepherd,
1, First, as I said before, I don't think we've used your picture. Furthermore, I don't think the model in our picture is so-called your sister's friend. Because the girl' pictures that you showed before can not be recogniezed as your sister's friend. It is just someone, just a girl, not can be defined as the model.

2, Please don't add our website's link to any website without our permission.

3, I confess that we quoted some articles of pearl-guide.com, but Pearl-guide is a public website and its major purpose is to popularize the pearl knowledge. So we don't think the site will prohibit its members to quote its articles.

Johnny,

It is clear, you stole the images from Pearl Paradise's website, put your own name on them, then have the audacity to accuse of Jeremy of lying?

I don't believe you, not even in the slightest.

J Shepherd,
1, First, as I said before, I don't think we've used your picture. Furthermore, I don't think the model in our picture is so-called your sister's friend. Because the girl' pictures that you showed before can not be recogniezed as your sister's friend. It is just someone, just a girl, not can be defined as the model.

2, Please don't add our website's link to any website without our permission.

3, I confess that we quoted some articles of pearl-guide.com, but Pearl-guide is a public website and its major purpose is to popularize the pearl knowledge. So we don't think the site will prohibit its members to quote its articles.

Let me make sued I understand this correctly. Are you now accusing us of stealing the pictures from you?

http://web.archive.org/web/20040612055051/http://pearlparadise.com/necklacelengthguide.html

Please see the link above , Johnny. It's from a Website called Internet Archive. It shows those pictures on our Website in 2004 - eight years ok.

1. You clearly stole the pictures, and the fact that you are denying it instead of simply acknowledging it here and apologizing, and then accusing the founder of Pearl-guide.com of stealing your pictures ... Wow. If they aren't taken off your website this week, I am going to introduce you to something dozens of your predecessors have had the pleasure of dealing with. It's called a DMCA.

2. Nobody needs permission to link to your site. On the other hand, infringing on the Pearl Paradise and Pearl-guide.com copyright does need permission - permission you don't have.

For anyone confused about Johnny's comment regarding the model, in an earlier thread that Johnny started and deleted, I posted a link to the picture of the model with my ex-employee. Here is the now undeleted thread.
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5573

And our pictures -
http://www.pearlparadise.com/pearlnecklace.html

And our pictures used without our permission -
http://www.yljewelrys.com/en/content/11-pearl-necklace-styles#.T5FyVbNAaHh

Lastly, here is a link to the terms of use of Pearl-Guide.com -
https://www.pearl-guide.com/policies-and-rules-of-conduct.shtml

The last part at the bottom pertains to you -
Copyright Pearl-Guide.com
The articles and information on this Web site are copyrighted materials of Pearl-Guide.com and its members. Any and all use including reproduction of the materials from this Web site is subject to the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976, Title 17 U.S.C

You might also want to familiarize yourself with DMCA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act
DMCA has been instrumental in removing countless copyright infringing Websites like yours.

JShepherd,
1) I don't know how do you prove that the girls in the picture are the same one as the model. The girl in the picture are big mouth. But the model is a small-mouth girl.
2) If I stole from your website, how do you explain that the "matinee style" pearl necklace picture that we have in our website, but not in your site?
3) http://web.archive.org/web/200406120...ngthguide.html, this link I can see nothing, it just can not be opened.
4) If you think you have enough evidence to win through DMCA, you just do it.
5) If you can compromise, I can remove the watermark from the picture, but not the whole picture, because I don't think your evidence is enough.

Johnny,

1. It is easy to prove, because the pictures are identical.
2. The link above that you can't seem to open, shows the picture of our matinee necklace in 2004. I will include them below.

Pearl Paradise's picture -

The picture on your Website -

More from our current design -

From PearlParadise.com

On your Website

From PearlParadise.com

On your Website

From PearlParadise.com

On your Website

Do I need to go on?

3. If you can't open this link, go to archive.org yourself and do the search. I will make it easier for you, though. The link is here.

4. Yes, I do have enough to move forward with a DMCA, I am just giving you the opportunity to save your Website first, as the DMCA will remove you from all search engine results. In other words, your Website will never be found again.

5. If you steal someone's suitcase and then put your name on it, do you own the suitcase and its contents? Would the owner of the suitcase and the contents be satisfied with that agreement.

This is the last time I am going to ask you to remove the stolen pictures. I am giving you permission to use the content on Pearl-Guide.com, but you MUST credit Pearl-Guide.com and link back to it from the pages with the copied content.

If you don't -

1. I will ban you from Pearl-Guide.com

2. Pearl-Guide.com and Pearl Paradise will file DMCA complaints against your Website with Bing and Google.

It's your call, Johnny.

Knowing that a few might find this offensive...I personally feel it still must be said. If he/she is willing to steal images from PP and content from PG...and claim them as his/her own...how many jewelry design images has he/she taken from these forums which will soon be displayed on his site for sale? I realize this might sound harsh, but in my experience dealing with people and companies who literally make their living off of stealing content, they don't often just stop at just a couple images or a few sentences - they take as much as they can find.

Mr. Shepherd is much more patient than I would be right now; I would have already fired off the DCMA, sent direct emails to the search engines (just in case), sent a cease and desist warning to the companies main email address and banned his IP from PG and PP...for starters.

This guy is a good object lesson, but he stinks up the air around here.

Maybe we should start a new forum for sites that rip off other sites.

People can easily point them out by posting examples on this forum. Maybe we could make a deal that if all offending pix/texts are removed from a site, then the posts about their site will be moved to the admin board, where they will stay in case of another offense. Otherwise, they stay public.

Perhaps any queries or comments about a particular site could go in that forum, too. Maybe we could move posts, ie the ones showing how cairns pearls 58 calls freshwaters Tahitian and even gives them a section in his store called Tahitians. When I told him that was dishonest, he banned me from buying from him. It's all in a thread, somewhere, but the real subject, rip-offs, is not highlighted as it would be in a separate forum.

My reaction is just to ban someone like johnny, and forget him, but this thread seems to be a valuable object lesson. Maybe we have enough such threads to move into one place.....

Last edited:
This guy is a good object lesson, but he stinks up the air around here.

Maybe we should start a new forum for sites that rip off other sites.

People can easily point them out by posting examples on this forum. Maybe we could make a deal that if all offending pix/texts are removed from a site, then the posts about their site will be moved to the admin board, where they will stay in case of another offense. Otherwise, they stay public.

Perhaps any queries or comments about a particular site could go in that forum, too. Maybe we could move posts, ie the ones showing how cairns pearls 58 calls freshwaters Tahitian and even gives them a section in his store called Tahitians. When I told him that was dishonest, he banned me from buying from him. It's all in a thread, somewhere, but the real subject, rip-offs, is not highlighted as it would be i a separate forum.

Personally - a section called "Don't Buy From These Websites/Companies" would be awesome to see and would be invaluable to helping people avoid getting scammed and ripped off...like at pjymarket.com and wsgemstone.com...two companies I ran into early on. Both use superfluous grades like AAA+ and AAAA, and both sell pearls advertised as AAA, but that would barely pass as an A/AA anywhere else.

Knowing that a few might find this offensive...I personally feel it still must be said. If he/she is willing to steal images from PP and content from PG...and claim them as his/her own...how many jewelry design images has he/she taken from these forums which will soon be displayed on his site for sale? I realize this might sound harsh, but in my experience dealing with people and companies who literally make their living off of stealing content, they don't often just stop at just a couple images or a few sentences - they take as much as they can find.

Mr. Shepherd is much more patient than I would be right now; I would have already fired off the DCMA, sent direct emails to the search engines (just in case), sent a cease and desist warning to the companies main email address and banned his IP from PG and PP...for starters.

I've been dealing with it for more than a decade now, so I've gotten to the point where I am a bit desensitized by the entire thing. Then again, I've never been accused of being the one who stole the pictures when I point it out. I just had to sit back and shake my head when I read that.

It would make sense to just ban, delete and report. But most of the time the offending Websites are located in another part of the world where copyright is rarely respected and often not understood, so I usually (unless it is hugely egregious) email a warning first. One great aspect of the Internet is that we don't have to sue a company like yljewelrys.com in order to get them to cease their actions. A complaint filed with the only two search engines that matter is free, and takes about five minutes to complete. Without this resource, there would be dozens and dozens of sites, mostly based in Hong Kong and China, using every picture we post on the net.

Policing the content on Pearl-Guide is even more difficult.

Take this one page, for example. Some of the more honest sites clearly credit Pearl-Guide.com, while others represent the information as their own, often claiming copyright on a page with plagiarized content.

This page from YLJewelrys.com is a good example -
http://www.yljewelrys.com/en/content/8-matching-pearl-necklaces-to-the-age#.T5GbtbPWZ-I

At the bottom of the page, you will see that they are claiming copyright.

? 2011 Yulong Jewelry All Rights Reserved.

Of course I personally wrote that content on Pearl Guide, and I personally own the copyright.

I would think some thing like, "What do you think about this website?" might be better, because sometimes websites people ask about are fine-even excellent-
Usually someone or two will go over there and check it out and report back that they have all the right memberships (BBB,or even CPAA) That the site does returns and has other safety nets in place for buyers. Or not. Sometimes it is an eBay seller who is accidentaly or deliberately mislabeling pearls. Sometimes people just want an opinion on a website- like someone just asked about artpearl.com and several of us replied we had used them and like them...

Back