Possibly South Sea Pearls?

momsjewel

Hello pearl experts. This necklace has larger pearls - over 12 mm in size, so I was thinking they may be South Sea pearls, but need help. The gold clasp is marked 585 with another makers mark. There is one pearl with an usual hole in it (see photo) and I would like to know what that is also. Thank you so very much. pearl necklace large 585 hole.jpgpearl necklace large 14 585.jpgpearl necklace large 585 close.jpgpearl necklace large 585 mark.jpg

These are low quality, low luster freshwater pearls.

I do not believe the mark on the clasp. It is not unusual for base metal/gold plated findings from China to be falsely stamped and sold as gold. It already looks like it is tarnishing.

If you already bought them, can you get a refund?

When I looked at the clasp through a loupe, it does not look bad at all. The photo certainly appears tarnished though. I will have to acid test it. I cannot return them because I bought them a few years back from a thrift shop, so, did not spend alot on them, fortunately. Thank you very much for the information Pearl Dreams.

There was a time several years ago that any large freshwater cultured pearls were a big deal because they were so large, so it's possible they rated a better clasp at the time. :)

Please do an acid test on them. I purchased a clasp that was marked 14k and when tested, it turned green. I got my money back.

Back