Please help identify pearl strands

May511

I acquired 2 different stands of pearls from an estate auction. Undetermined whether they were real or not at the time. Either way they are still beautiful and for a great price! I am wanting to know if they are real strands or costume jewelry. I tried to look up the gold and red clasp with no luck. I plan to get them confirmed with a jeweler local. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4410.jpeg
    IMG_4410.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4411.jpeg
    IMG_4411.jpeg
    412 KB · Views: 20
It is very hard to evaluate pearls photographed against a dark background, in not very good focus and with lack of closeups. Please take more photos and we'll give it a go. White background (paper towel is good) no flash, sharp focus and lots of close ups of any flaws. Check especially near the drill holes.

Do the clasps have a metal mark? A photo may help us there as well.

Here are 2 quickie tests that are usually helpful in deteriming real vs. fake:

1. Real pearls are cooler than pearls made from glass or plastic beads. If you place these 2 necklaces in the same temperature environment as any other pearls you have that you know to be real (or that you know to be fake), and leave them there for about half an hour, then you can compare their temperatures. Hold the pearls against your lips, which is very sensitive to temperature.

2. Rub 2 pearls of each necklace together gently. Real pearls have a gritty feel to them because of the structure of nacre. Fake pearls tend to glide smoothly against each other.

Back