Please evaluate my purchase

Ibarzabal

Hey, I have a small strand of pearls here I picked off eBay for what seemed like a great value.

What I know about this piece is that the strand is done in 18k white gold, it came from Shanghai, China, and it was made ideally for a young lady.

I would like to know what kind of pearls these are, and if they are of any value. Many thanks. :cool:

Here's the necklace:
Images Expired

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks like a piece sold by someone abroad, like ES_store.
Is the clasp marked 18kgp? The barrel shape suggests color-treated freshwater in my humble opinion.

Hello,

What did the listing say about the chain? Did the seller have other similar pieces? I would agree that they are dyed oval freshwater pearls, most likely the chain is plated, not actual 18k, especially if you paid about $10-20. The necklace is a popular and wearable style, enjoy it!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

eBay seller tibetchina168 also sells necklaces like this, which are 18 K GP (gold plated.)

Attractive and affordable, and yes, that would indeed be pretty on a young lady.

Did you receive any appraisal with the necklace? I would not be certain that you had genuine pearls unless they came with an appraisal. Given the price and the other items featured by that seller, I believe the necklace is valuable only as a fashion item. So wear it, love it, and there is no need to be upset if it breaks or you lose it. :) You got a good deal on a fashionable style.

It may be marked 18k, but this is very typical in China. However it is plated at best. That style of chain it typical in China, and it is always silver.

The pearls are small freshwater ovals. It is a fun fashion piece, but unfortunately it is not very valuable. At one of the fashion traders in Shanxiahu market you would pay $1-$2 for the piece. In the states it would probably cost you around $20-$25.

Back